Flexcut Carvin' Jack - Worth Getting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

The knife arrived earlier in the week. Seems well made, although maybe not as slickly constructed as a SAK. The blades tend to lift each other up when you open one (needs interleaving bits, I guess), but no big hassle. There are traces of oil at the hinges, but adding a drop more seems to have helped a little (less 'dry' feeling now). Don't know why the pouch is unfinished/untreated leather. I put some neatsfoot compound on mine. I found that a couple of the concave profiles on the stropping board don't fit the blades (the two gouges), but the outsides of those can be stropped on the leather bit. Both profiles for the V scorp seem fine.

I think I need to develop my technique a bit. I cut a bit from a lump of softwood CLS (spruce or whitewood, I think) and started making a spoon-shaped object using the straight blade. I ended up putting too much effort into the push cuts and developed a blister on my left thumb. After a bit, I decided that blade was a bit light/small/thin for roughing out, so switched to my woody clone and found it much better (also put a glove on the left hand and used different areas of the thumb for pushing). So, trying too hard at first, or used the wrong tool for the heavier cuts. When doing the inside of the bowl, I found the crook blade wasn't that great for getting it started - I agree that the gouge scorp does it better.

Regarding the left/right hand thing, I think I prefer this on balance, especially when using the gouge scorp to make the bowl - push cuts feel better to me for this. That said, I'm reasonably ambidextrous and found that I can do lighter pull cuts with my left hand as well. There were times when I wondered if a right-handed pull cut might be better, but not so much that I'd buy a right-handed tool as well.

The detail blade seems a bit long for doing fine work with the tip - I didn't really get into doing that because I didn't feel comfortable with holding it like a pencil. (I sometimes trim small 3D-printed plastic parts at work, and use a scalpel for this, held like a pencil, and using a loupe to see what I'm doing.) The blade seems a good size for lighter material removal, however (shave off thicker bits near the hinge, and thinner bits near the tip).

Overall, it seems very usable. It works, it's compact, and I'm glad I got it.

Any suggestions for woods that are nice to carve? The CLS stuff is okayish, but is sometimes a bit fibrous, and I had to be careful with the depth of some of the cuts because it tended to split along the grain. It also seemed to vary a bit in hardness -easy cuts in some places, and quite tough in others, especially when cutting across the grain. Do different woods suit different types of carved things? Like, are basic spoons and the like better carved from particular species, while detailed things like wood spirits from others?

And, oils for food utensils? I've heard of walnut oil (I'm not allergic to nuts), but what else can be used?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE