Rifle opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My call would be:-

Weihrauch HW80, slightly tweeked by mr Pope (had one in my younger years and regret letting it go when i got into powder burners).

Sako Finnfire in .22LR (currently have a 10/22 filling LR slot but will hopefully be doing something about that in the not too distant future). SAK mod.

Fullbore, I really cant fault my Rem 700 in .243. It's done all I've wanted it too and more so far ;). Doesn't stop me hankering after a Sako 75 in 7mm-08 or .270 though.

I find the old remi 700 is marmite to be honest, personally absolutely love them and don't see what people find wrong with them. But then people must hate them for a reason! I've fired a sako 75 (possibly .270win) I forget caliber but as I recall was a cracking rifle

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I find the old remi 700 is marmite to be honest, personally absolutely love them and don't see what people find wrong with them. But then people must hate them for a reason! I've fired a sako 75 (possibly .270win) I forget caliber but as I recall was a cracking rifle

It's the quality control. Some shoot very well, but many don't. I've seen more than one that kust wouldn't group to even satisfy a hunter.

Sako 75s are nice, bit a tad heavy. If you don't mind polymer mags and trigger guard, the Tikka T3 is every bit as accurate. Spare mags are much cheaper too.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's the quality control. Some shoot very well, but many don't. I've seen more than one that kust wouldn't group to even satisfy a hunter.

Sako 75s are nice, bit a tad heavy. If you don't mind polymer mags and trigger guard, the Tikka T3 is every bit as accurate. Spare mags are much cheaper too.
Maybe I've been lucky then if that's the case. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be using one as a target rifle, but a capable all rounder.
I hear great things about tikka I have to admit. Intrigued to try one out. Same with one of the kriegkoff range (name eludes me, possibly sampario?) supposedly brilliant but haven't had the pleasure

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If you got a good one, it'll do the job alright.

I bought my Tikka as I couldn't get a Savage 110 over here. But i'm happy with the purchase. I would recommend themto anyone. However, I would only buy a Tikka in a long action as they are essentially all long action, with shorter caliber's having spacers in the mags etc. It made no odds to me, since I was looking for a 30-06, but I'd look to savage for a .223 or the like.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you got a good one, it'll do the job alright.

I bought my Tikka as I couldn't get a Savage 110 over here. But i'm happy with the purchase. I would recommend themto anyone. However, I would only buy a Tikka in a long action as they are essentially all long action, with shorter caliber's having spacers in the mags etc. It made no odds to me, since I was looking for a 30-06, but I'd look to savage for a .223 or the like.
Don't actually own powder burners anymore but used remis quite a bit in the past. Only own shotguns and air rifles now. I still have friends I can go and use them with though.

I used a savage axis in 30-06 but I believe that was a yank import. I do know a lad with a T3 though so might pester him for a shot

I just gave one of my metallic silhouette competition rifles to my grand-son. We used Remington 700's due to the fast lock time, and the fact that they could be blueprinted into a very competitive long range "production" rifle - with an expenditure that made the original rifle cost seem trivial.. It appears that now Remington actions in many cases are not worth the cost of modifying, and so the rise of custom actions, some based directly on the 700. So it seems that there is a lot of truth to the concern over QC these days.

I gave my Marlin 39A .22 to my son so that it would be available in Alberta for teaching the great grand-kids to shoot as it was used to teach the grand-kids. Now I have a CZ varmint which was extremely accurate from the start. I really miss the Marlin, though and will seek another vintage one as current production also suffers QC issues. There's a lot at play in choosing a favorite .22: once I would have considered lever action rifles quaint antiques, but then we tried standing shooting at silhouettes for fun shoots, both .22 and big bore, and I really enjoyed those shoots.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Regarding Remington it's worth noting they've changed hands a fair few times and the QC has varied with different owners and time periods. Some times were better and others were worse.

During the Vietnam War they built sniper rifles on the Modell 700 platform. Other times? Not always so good.

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
Hi There .
I have a 30 30 lever action that I have knocked over a few feral goats with. Great fun to shoot and enough grunt for all NZ game.
Just recently bought a 308 howa for longer distances.
All good
Can't go wrong with any rifle just have to place the shots more carefully with smaller calibers.
In nz the smallest caliber alloed in the bush is .222

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont have an FAC at the moment, but will end up getting one, probably next year now. [I'd booked a DSC1, but ended up in A&E and didnt feel up to it, so had to pass]

Im sure there must be a thousand choices better, for deer hunting, but I like the looks of the Ruger scout [in .308]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love theRuger Scout (but then I love Scout rifles generally) - especially the AI box mag adaption (although M14 pattern would have been better). Not sure its long enough barreled for some deer use though?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I love theRuger Scout (but then I love Scout rifles generally) - especially the AI box mag adaption (although M14 pattern would have been better). Not sure its long enough barreled for some deer use though?

You'd know that better than I do red, no, I doubt it is either, but its a canny looking gun though.

The only rifle I have at the moment is a .22 Air Arms s400 carbine, with a rotating shot chamber, and just a x4 mag on it, without mildots, but I can hit bulls eyes from 20 to 40 yards pretty consistently.

It's gotta be a perfect gun for shooting squirrels, and rabbits for food. But I dont have a permisssion. :(

I did write out a letter, and I am a member of the NGO, so have shooting insurance, I just need to find the right farmer somehow. Which I have not attempted to do. But should get off my butt and do.

bowji john

Silver Trader
My choice

Weihrauch HW80 - heavy but good quality - mine shoots well with good accuracy (for an air rifle)

Ruger 10 22 - bit of a cliché but I rate mine for both field and target

Tikka .223 - bit limited this - only because the calibre isn't ideal for me - should have gone for 6.5 creedmore

SGC .223/5.56 for target and field - great assault rifle I get .75 moa from

Sauer 404 308 - Have gone and ordered but yet to receive and try it in field

Am also considering the extra barrel, bolt head and magazine to convert the Sauer from 308 to 375 ((decision subject to whether or not my work requires (provides an excuse to buy :).) a medium calibre rifle)).

My overall advise - don't start - it is a seriously wealth depleting pass time ! :).

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I certainly wouldn't think of that SGC straight pull as an "assault rifle". Indeed I don't think anything that isn't select fire is an assault rifle - plus the term tends to spark silliness in the ignorant ;)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi Hibrion

I did think of the R8 professional but have no experience of it

Was put off having a straight pull - for no real reason

Have you any experience of them?

J

I've never owned one, but have shot with several giys who have them and would rate them higly. I almost bought one, but the limited mag size put me off.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Hi guys, I've only shot .22 & .300/303 rifles up to now, but fancy a light, portable, takedown, accurate air rifle, or long-barrel air pistol for small game while hiking - suggestions/advice please?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi guys, I've only shot .22 & .300/303 rifles up to now, but fancy a light, portable, takedown, accurate air rifle, or long-barrel air pistol for small game while hiking - suggestions/advice please?

Imo the best option for you is the air arms TDR. It feels like a proper stock and for me that's an issue. Gunpower/s16 and all the other suitcase rifles to me are unshootable. If you can get away with a round stock the gunpower stealth is incredible, very much critically acclaimed, but I hated it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE