Two Sheath Commissions For Brother Ammo...Tons Of Pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi...for the record I absolutely hate doing work for Ammo. He's affectionately known in our group as 'Chief Sniffer'....a title he well deserves...and though he has great taste and unquestionable pedigree, he's a complete fuss-pot, kit junkie and nag. He gets so excited about things I swear he's going to either burst into tears, explode or go on a rampage. He's the only person so far who I've allowed to bend my morals and rules and he drives me nuts. However he does get me to push my boundaries and I'm glad for that because I'm so happy the way these sheaths have turned out for him, there are a couple of things which I didnt get perfect but hey...I hope he's happy too...luv ya Brother!

I've taken loads of pics because I know he'll be sitting at his computer dribbling, twitching, vibrating and sniffing! These sheaths have been made for his two favourite knives, a Randall and a Skookum and he was real specific about what he wanted....here's the list:

1...my mahogany/brown mix of dye
2...precise sizes (both to be the same size as the two sheaths the knives were already in)
3...for both sheaths to hang the same length off his belt
4...tooled border
5...ferro holders and an inch down
6...DC3 & DC4 pouches (which usually go on much larger sheaths)

1...THE OLD SHEATHS (one of which I had made that happened to fit)

2...BLANKS CUT & PREPPED (after so much fussing about the templates you wouldnt believe it)

3...BLANKS DYED, TOOLED & STAMPED

4...START OF ASSEMBLY (and terrified the DC4 pouch was too close to the future stitch holes for me to be able to drill/access them)

5...GLUEING/CLAMPING (same issue here...hardly enough room to get the clamps to bite)

6...HOLES DRILLED (by a gnats tinker...trust me the spinning drill bit was barely 0.5mm away from the DC4 pouch most the time...had sweat on me brow...then the reverses of the sheaths grooved out to seat the stitching....and yes, the belt-loop on the left-hand sheath is meant to be off-center))

7...VOILA! STITCHED, EDGES GROUND & RE-DYED (just the edgekoting to finish this evening)

MORE ABOUT THE BIG SHEATH IN THE MIDDLE IN A SEPARATE THREAD LATER ON...

these will be the last ever commissions I do for Ammo because otherwise I'll go insane so I hope y'all like them!:p

Regards!

Sonni

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
that is very tight and neatly work!
well done. I love it simple but elegant.

thanks for sharing! makes me want to do stuff too

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
If I can ask:
-are the DC pouches attached with rivets? (I guess so because of the holes)
- are these profiles on the welt so that the glue holds better

again good work, wish I could help you as a pupil ;)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
thanks dready....glad theyre done and over lol!

ta mors....yes, rivets, yes, scored for better 'keying'/adhesion

regards

s

If I can ask:
-are the DC pouches attached with rivets? (I guess so because of the holes)
- are these profiles on the welt so that the glue holds better

again good work, wish I could help you as a pupil ;)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks for uncovering your secrets ;)

keep on the good stuff! really enjoy this DIY section

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah,,,, gonna copy the bushtool one. I need a new sheath :theyareon

Beer is in the post.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Loved the follow along style flow of that thread, was almost a how to (after the person wanting to 'to' has built up years of leather working skills), stunning end products

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Pure class mate, your work just goes from good to better..............and that colour of yours!!! :)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Wow. They are stunning. Exactly what I wanted.
When talking about bespoke craftsmen.
I always say, you can't say anyone is the best at something. You simply find someone who's work most appeals to you, or reflects your personality.
I think these show why (Sonni) Beneath The Stars, is my favourite leather smith.
Absolutely perfect.
Thankyou Sonni

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Your stuff is always so well finished Sonni, the colours are just amazing too. I Keep coming back to your products every time, simply quality workmanship.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE