Straight razor first shave: OWW!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My wife doesn't like me with a beard these days, no matter how fashionable they are. And I don't cut such a dash as you do with yours, Mr Fenna, sad to say. Ho hum, I'll keep on shaving for now.
I love the idea of me being "fashionable":lmao:
I studied fashion design as a "mature" (that cracks my wife up every time!) student ... it was only to learn pattern cutting and I only ever designed gear for outdoor clothing companies such as Craghoppers ... but the staff ridiculed my efforts until I got a Distinction for my final collection - the brief was for "Resort wear" and I chose to do gear for a "Mountain Resort" ... in Ventile :)
I guess I must be a trendsetter with the beard as the last time I had a clean shaven chin was 42 years ago!
This was not a fashion choice either but just that my bristles defied razors and at 16 I had to shave twice a day to stay looking tidy .. and I am far too lazy for that!
Good luck with the straight razors - that is "Man-shaving" ... my wife uses disposable safety razors....

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
ive used Mach 3s for years.
I get months out of each blade cartridge. I think the blades must hone on my leathery skin so they last ages.
I can't remember the last time i cut my skin shaving.
Well my face anyhow!

Rocker, Walker, Camper, Husband, Dad

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
jandude, If you're bleeding after a shave and don't have a styptic pencil wash your face with cold water not hot. The blood vessels will close up and the blood will move away from the surface of your skin. I swear by a cold rinse after I shave! Been using a straight razor for ages and it gets so much better you just have to stick with it mate...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
jandude, If you're bleeding after a shave and don't have a styptic pencil wash your face with cold water not hot. The blood vessels will close up and the blood will move away from the surface of your skin. I swear by a cold rinse after I shave! Been using a straight razor for ages and it gets so much better you just have to stick with it mate...

Harvest a supply of Plantain - a natural styptic...and cheap:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very cheap! Thanks for the advice. So let's say I go out and harvest a load of greater plantain, how do I turn it into something I can apply to a wound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mash it up a bit to get the juice flowing - that should be enough :)

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Haha cheers John! I can see me now 6am walking round the estate in a towel, bloody face, plucking weeds from the pavement! :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Keep at it mate. my first attempt looked like some awful love child between freddy krugger and jaws! been using a straight for 15 years now, plenty of good advice above. i find, it is lovely me time in the bathroom, my good lady and the cat know not to disturb me, in case i hit the wrong artery. cold water is great for stemming little nicks, and a red towel for big gouges.
good luck

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I shave nearly everyday with a two-bladed BIC, never had any problems myself. I've tried older DE razors and found them very uncomfortable compared to modern cartridges. The older style shaving soaps and creams however are very good.

Tonyuk

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Don't tell my wife but I broke my promise and used the shavette again.

With four days of stubble to tackle while I let my wounds heal from my first shave I couldn't face(!) slashing away with my cartridge razor. So, armed with all the good advice you all gave me, I went for it.

Wow, what a difference. When it goes right, it's brilliant! A superb shave with just one with-the-grain pass of the razor. The only damage I did to myself was taking the tops off a couple of the cuts from Friday. No new nicks at all. I did the whole of my face - admittedly, against your advice. I took my time, concentrated so hard it was untrue and no more cuts, no razor rash, and a close, comfortable shave. Wahoo!

The angles, light touch, direction of travel of the short strokes: all added together they add up to a fantastic experience and a real sense of achievement, not to mention relief. I'm hooked! (Of course, whether I can repeat this perfection is a whole other story.)

I guess the whole soap thing is next to look into but for the moment I'll keep using my usual foam from a tin - mainly coz I've a shelf full as it was on special offer!

I'm definitely a convert. But it's not a quick shave so I don't know whether I can do it every day: maybe I'll shave of an evening instead of the mornings; we'll see.

I'll keep you posted on the next few shaves while I find my stride (or not). Thanks for your guidance, all.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great to hear, once a decent shave is experienced there's no going back!

Cheap soaps aplenty that work well. You really need a brush and soap to take it to the next level. Canned foam just sits atop whiskers where a soap lathered into them penetrates them and makes the whisker stand up.

Palmolive works great and is easy to lather. At .50p it's money well spent. A cheap brush can be had for a few quid but I've found a synthetic Omega to be my main user over more expensive ones.

A lathered soap will not only work better but it will make the whole experience more enjoyable and add a traditional vibe. Don't forget to grab a bottle of witch hazel, it really does help your face no end after a shave!

whipcracker

Mar 19, 2014
Cache Valley, UT
A bit late to the party but...
I have a 5 pack of Gillette Fusions that I have been using for a little over a year. I shave every other day, more or less, and prep with about as hot water as I can stand and then shave with Shave Secret shave oil dousing face with more hot water as needed, then followed with ice cold water and a few more drops of the oil. Always get a close shave. I have always wanted to learn to use a straight razor but that $18 pack has gone a long way so I don't know. Just my two cents, even though they may be wood pennies...

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
If you happen to have your own sharpening stones whipcracker you can get some amazing pre-WW2 era razors from ebay for peanuts. They usually just need buffing up and sharpening to a very fine grit (easier said than done mind you), then a strop and you've got one razor that will potentially last you a lifetime. I've got a collection of razors and I get the best shave from an old Solingen 'Gong' razor that cost me £8 ($12)

On a side note, my 90yr old grandfather who's been a gents barber all his life told me the other week he disposed of about 30 'open razors' as he called them. I couldn't believe it, I nearly cried. Can't imagine what gems he might have had in that collection :(

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I might well have read the original post wrong but I certainly didn't mean to come across as harsh to anyone with my replies. I'm not saying don't grow a beard or don't use disposable razors. I read the o. p as a question about straight razor shaving and answered as such.

Nothing against anyone's methods, I'm just trying to share what took me 18 years to learn the hard way lolz. If I can share something that makes someone's life easier I'm more than happy to chip in with what I know. Time and money saved is a bonus. I read the o. p as a question of how to wet shave better, not as 'should I wet shave?'.

For anyone enjoying cartridge shavers, have fun. Same with growing beards. It's all good if you enjoy it. For everyone willing to learn a near forgotten ritual that brings satisfaction all the power to you. To be honest most modern razors are fully capable of doing the job well. There's just something appealing about the ritual of a traditional shave that's hard to put in to words. Feel free to pm me any questions or thoughts as I'm fairly passionate about it for some reason. Happy shaves however you choose to execute them...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I once owned a Rolls Royce straight razor and I regret giving it away... I admit never trying to use it... me and manual shaving don't get along.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I might well have read the original post wrong but I certainly didn't mean to come across as harsh to anyone with my replies. I'm not saying don't grow a beard or don't use disposable razors. I read the o. p as a question about straight razor shaving and answered as such.

Nothing against anyone's methods, I'm just trying to share what took me 18 years to learn the hard way lolz. If I can share something that makes someone's life easier I'm more than happy to chip in with what I know. Time and money saved is a bonus. I read the o. p as a question of how to wet shave better, not as 'should I wet shave?'.

For anyone enjoying cartridge shavers, have fun. Same with growing beards. It's all good if you enjoy it. For everyone willing to learn a near forgotten ritual that brings satisfaction all the power to you. To be honest most modern razors are fully capable of doing the job well. There's just something appealing about the ritual of a traditional shave that's hard to put in to words. Feel free to pm me any questions or thoughts as I'm fairly passionate about it for some reason. Happy shaves however you choose to execute them...

If I ever did try a shave - and it is not going to happen! - then a straight razor would be my weapon of choice... I like trad :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I know you love your beard John but I also reckon you'd enjoy a traditional shave. Can't have both though lolz. My fix is edging my beard and a neck shave until I get rid of the lot in the new year. Best of both worlds I guess.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I know you love your beard John but I also reckon you'd enjoy a traditional shave. Can't have both though lolz. My fix is edging my beard and a neck shave until I get rid of the lot in the new year. Best of both worlds I guess.

I am not even clipping mine at the moment - I want to see how big I can get it before I play the part of Hwel the Dwarf playwright in "Wyrd Sisters" in December - us Dwarfs have big beards!
I wonder if I will be able to plait it by then....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE