Folding Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
Hello all. I've noticed on the BC forums lots of mention of fixed blade knives, but very little mention of folding knives like pocket knives. Is this out of preference, or are there legal restrictions on carrying folders in the U.K?
Just curious.
Alex :)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
The only knife that you are legally allowed to carry without 'good reason' is a non locking folding knife with a blade of less than 3 inches.

I like folding knives and I have lots of them! :D

I think there more fixed blade discussion here because people generally seem to consider their fixed blade their primary outdoor tool.

Hunter Gatherer said:
Hello all. I've noticed on the BC forums lots of mention of fixed blade knives, but very little mention of folding knives like pocket knives. Is this out of preference, or are there legal restrictions on carrying folders in the U.K?
Just curious.
Alex :)

It sometimes seems to me that there are legal restrictions on just about everything in the UK :lmao:
Knife law here seems particularly complicated, if you are interested there is more info here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8233

As joiner (carpenter) I carry enough sharp implements day to day to recreate the chainsaw masacre but in theory I have a reason to carry them. If I didnt have a reason I could be prosecuted for carrying offensive weapons if you see what I mean.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
I suppose since the lockblades now have no legal status and can only be carried "with good reason" this means that a lock or a fixed blade are equally problematic.

I suspect this means that many have concluded, as I have, that you carry a sub 3" penknife, or an appropriate fixed blade if the "good reason" pertains - fishing, camping, boating, whatever.

My lockblades and such rarely leave the house these days...

Jim.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Since a locking folder and a fixed blade knife are roughly equal in terms of the law, most bushcrafters seem to choose a fixed blade since they're stronger and less complicated.

I usually have my SAK with me when out and about, as generally speaking that's legal, then I top up with my Mora if I need something beefier.

May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
Wow, I just finished reading the thread about carrying knives and such, I had no idea your laws were so restrictive. Without insult, do the powers that be, feel you're going to cause a revolt with penknives and such?!
How about visitors? I assume when I come over my folding knife stays home...
Dismayed.
Alex

Hunter Gatherer said:
Wow, I just finished reading the thread about carrying knives and such, I had no idea your laws were so restrictive. Without insult, do the powers that be, feel you're going to cause a revolt with penknives and such?!
How about visitors? I assume when I come over my folding knife stays home...
Dismayed.
Alex

I try to laugh but sometimes I really do despair. This isnt the place for politics so ill not rant but would you believe the police in Scotland recently suggested a 'waiting period' before you could buy a kitchen knife :tapedshut

This quote sort of sums it up:
When all the dangerous cliffs are fenced off, all the trees that might fall on people are cut down, all of the insects that bite are poisoned… the wilderness will not be made safe. Rather, the safety will have destroyed the wilderness.
R. Yorke Edwards

A fellow countryman of yours I believe

Oct 18, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire, UK
Actually, what Hunter Gatherer said made me think, If I was to go on holiday and bought a knife (seeing as how everything is cheeper outside of Britain this is possiable!) can I bring it back on a plane?
Obvoiously not in my hand lugage, I've seen people have battery powered electric fans taken from them because they are dangerous(!?) but how about hold lugage?
Has anyone done this since 9/11?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Daniel Edwards said:
Actually, what Hunter Gatherer said made me think, If I was to go on holiday and bought a knife (seeing as how everything is cheeper outside of Britain this is possiable!) can I bring it back on a plane?
Obvoiously not in my hand lugage, I've seen people have battery powered electric fans taken from them because they are dangerous(!?) but how about hold lugage?
Has anyone done this since 9/11?

Yup, so long as you are reasonable about it.
Any sharps go in hold luggage so that you can't have access to them during the flight. The battery fan story is news to me though. :confused:

ATB

Ogri the trog

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
It should be fine as long as the knife is legal in the UK i.e. no flick-knives, balisongs etc.

If you're bringing a load of knives back then it'll make sense to ring the airline beforehand to forewarn them.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
What proportion of people in the UK live in urban areas? I remember hearing that it was 90%. If that's right it's hardly surprising that knives in the uk have come to be seen first and foremost as weapons. Ordinary, urban Britons don't carry knives and don't need to, so are naturally suspicious of those that do. In a city there's no real legitimate use for a knife outdoors, and if you're indoors there's sure to be one nearby, so carrying a lockknife in your couldn't really be justified for the most part.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are a visitor, you might have more luck explaining your locking folder, but I would fully expect you would lose it if the situation were to arise. If you don't, you are lucky. With the increase in searches in London, and the introduction of more metal detector for trains, even as a visitor I would not want to try my luck wandering around with a lock knife.

There have been enough cases of UK residents getting very rough treatment from the law for carrying multi-tools, non-locking knives that make an audible click when opening, or bushcraft knives, packed in rucksacks full of camping kit, on the back seat of the car, going down the motorway. While the law says you are able to carry fixed blades, or lock knives, with a good reason, and sub-3-inch slipjoints anywhere, the law also allows the police to confiscate anything they don't like the look of.

I have never had a problem bringing knives into the UK in my hold luggage. The checks made by Customs are a bit hit or miss and I have only been stopped once, and that was because I had a rifle case. Zero problems. Out going security have looked in my suitcase twice and the 3-4 sheath knives didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Hunter Gatherer,
Not wanting to get into the politics of it, but the government isn't in the least bit concerned about armed revolt. It is all to do with an attempt to prevent crime. There is a certain logic...police on the street catch someone after there has been a stabbing, they might well be able to connect the person to the crime, but the victim was still stabbed before they could do anything. If the implement used to commit the stabbing was illegal, and the police could have arrested the perpetrator before hand, the victim would be saved. It is also felt that there is a deterent value in handing out 5 year jail terms just for carrying something pointy. When many people don't/won't even carry a Swiss Army Knife, such legeslation doesn't impact that many people.

I doubt that many people on this forum would agree with the above "logic". I do not, and feel very strongly about the whole issue, however this isn't the place to get into a political debate or rant :rolleyes: ;) .

C_Claycomb said:
There is a certain logic...police on the street catch someone after there has been a stabbing, they might well be able to connect the person to the crime, but the victim was still stabbed before they could do anything. If the implement used to commit the stabbing was illegal, and the police could have arrested the perpetrator before hand, the victim would be saved. It is also felt that there is a deterent value in handing out 5 year jail terms just for carrying something pointy. When many people don't/won't even carry a Swiss Army Knife, such legeslation doesn't impact that many people.

I too can see a certain logic but if the argument is taken to its logical conclusion where will they draw the line?
They cant legislate against the 'desire to stab' and given that an 'HB' pencil could be lethal ...... Whats next?

Ok Ok, i know im preaching to the converted here but I cant help myself :aargh4: :togo:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE