Hi, Has anyone here purchsed or used the Silvermans 120 Litre SAS Type Bergen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 3, 2015
New Forest
From the only image on their web page it looks like a green PLCE sack with three additional pouches and an external from from the SAS/Para Bergen. Does anyone here have one? used one? or have any other images of the Bergen? Many thanks

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
I had the para version while I was serving and it uses the same frame. A right marmite bergen, I hated it, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. They are designed to be worn above your webbing, which for me made it feel like it was crushing my spine/kidneys. The straps are narrow and not well padded, the back strap is made of the same material which used to cause webbing burns when doing any fitness training with them. The frame straps etc, where designed to carry the section radio at the time and was pressed in to bergen service in the usual MoD cost cutting way and only just made the grade with the small GS bergen version.

Other people loved them. I brought myself a cyclops roc as soon as I could afford one.

Each to their own... I would advise that you try it before you buy it though.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I would say design of the pack both original and the silvermans type is very good, however , the frame is the problem, its really heavy, its made of steel and you will swear at the additional weight . if you like the style, go for US alice pack, similar design, aluminium frame! Big weight difference. I use medium and large alice packs sometimes, however again.. both designs are flawed as the packs weight distribution is laterally not vertically, so the pack pulls you backwards, hence pictures of troops leaning forward under the load, the cyclops or crusader or vulcan style based on mountain rucksacks stack the weight vitically and keep the load close to the body and its centre of gravity. Less back strain, better load placement on the hips due to waist belts, no hip belt on the alice or sas bergen worth the damn.

In short, its a beast, it will outlive you even when abused, but will keep your chiropractor topped up with beer tokens.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I own one and still use it (padded the straps more). I like packs below the back of my neck. The old SAS/ Para bergans take some getting used to but as I say my favourite to use.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
I second what Buck states, from experience -
If you plan to walk further than car to camp site - buy lots of gaffer tape and expanded foam pipe lagging for that frame! Or get a mate to carry it for you :(!

Oct 21, 2005
Stoke st micheal
Still got my issue Para Burgan had all the padding bulked up by a RAF parachute packer if that's not enough there's always stick on sanitary towels for the Bergan rash. Only problem is it'll take a full bedroom set toilet and kitchen sink to fill it up. Carried high on the back takes a bit of getting used to but once you get used to it your away won't interfere with your belt kit.

Can't really see any civvy rucksack matching it, Throw it out an aircraft of a boat it'll take it.
Cyclops Roc now that brings back memory's strap on side pouches and a long back bliss.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE