Extensive Lavvu Mods (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,
The attached images show a fairly extensively modified size 3 Lavvu tent intended for use as a medium to long term base camp shelter primarily during the brown and (hopefully) white seasons.
I’ve annotated the images with relevant info but if they are not readable don’t hesitate to ask.
Alterations were carried out on a Janome J12-18 lightweight electric sewing machine;
Thread used was predominantly Gutermann upholstery thread colour 676
Alterations took 7x 8 hour days;
Extra pole added from size 1 Lavvu to raise canvas approx 25cms.
Sidewalls/mudsill made from ex BW groundsheets
Webbing strap = ex Brit military utility straps
Pegs are (long) mild steel nail pegs (think winter!)
2 x entrance zips cannibal-ised from BW cold weather fleece lined trousers
Double buttoned arm flaps removed and replaced with zip and single velcro’d flaps
Inner tent = cannibal-ised Brit surplus mosi cot plus 4 metres x 1.5m midweight cotton
Mosi vent frames material from cannibal-ised BW trousers;
Mosi vent nets from Brit mosi cot;
All seams sealed with various brands (what I had in the garage);
Canvas sealed with copious amounts of Fabsil (Gold & Standard, some purchased some found in garage)
BW = Bundeswehr (German) BH = BundesHeer (Austrian)
Rough cost estimate = £85 (+ time!)
Lavvu already garden tested overnight and in heavy rain - sound as a pound!
Weight and bulk obviously increased but IMHO still man/woman packable.
I hope the pics repro clear enough.
LavvuMod(1).jpgLavvuMod(2).jpgLavvuMod(3).jpgLavvuMod(4).jpgLavvuMod(5).jpgLavvuMod(6).jpgLavvuMod(7).jpgLavvuMod(8).jpgLavvuMod(9).jpgLavvuMod(10).jpgLavvuMod(11).jpgLavvuMod(12).jpgLavvuMod(13).jpgLavvuMod(14).jpgLavvuMod(15).jpgLavvuMod(16).jpgLavvuMod(17).jpgLavvuMod(18).jpgLavvuMod(19).jpgLavvuMod(20).jpgLavvuMod(21).jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Excellent mod & walkthrough/tutorial.

Thank you for taking the time; still pics with annotations knock spots off videos every day of the week for me. :)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the positive comments :)
re bigger pics - I could try the originals without the annotations, they were taken on an iphone 4s, anyone know whether that is acceptable on the site or will they be to pixel heavy?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye Up All,
The attached images show a fairly extensively modified size 3 Lavvu tent intended for use as a medium to long term base camp shelter primarily during the brown and (hopefully) white seasons.
I’ve annotated the images with relevant info but if they are not readable don’t hesitate to ask.
Alterations were carried out on a Janome J12-18 lightweight electric sewing machine;
Thread used was predominantly Gutermann upholstery thread colour 676
Alterations took 7x 8 hour days;
Extra pole added from size 1 Lavvu to raise canvas approx 25cms.
Sidewalls/mudsill made from ex BW groundsheets
Webbing strap = ex Brit military utility straps
Pegs are (long) mild steel nail pegs (think winter!)
2 x entrance zips cannibal-ised from BW cold weather fleece lined trousers
Double buttoned arm flaps removed and replaced with zip and single velcro’d flaps
Inner tent = cannibal-ised Brit surplus mosi cot plus 4 metres x 1.5m midweight cotton
Mosi vent frames material from cannibal-ised BW trousers;
Mosi vent nets from Brit mosi cot;
All seams sealed with various brands (what I had in the garage);
Canvas sealed with copious amounts of Fabsil (Gold & Standard, some purchased some found in garage)
BW = Bundeswehr (German) BH = BundesHeer (Austrian)
Rough cost estimate = £85 (+ time!)
Lavvu already garden tested overnight and in heavy rain - sound as a pound!
Weight and bulk obviously increased but IMHO still man/woman packable.
I hope the pics repro clear enough.
View attachment 37350View attachment 37351View attachment 37352View attachment 37353View attachment 37354View attachment 37355View attachment 37356View attachment 37357View attachment 37358View attachment 37359View attachment 37360View attachment 37361View attachment 37362View attachment 37363View attachment 37364View attachment 37365View attachment 37366View attachment 37367View attachment 37368View attachment 37369View attachment 37370

Truly a design classic, I am well impressed, very professionally done, I am so jealous, puts my slight mod plans in the dark, nail pins now added to my shopping list I have a similar idea for pole base plate but in my set up my poles will be at an angle & may have to have pins like a ski pole. your shock cord idea is genius my poles will be wood so I can't plagiarize that one... I have booked marked this post for future ref. thanks for sharing...

Last edited:

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Nicely done Jaeger. A couple of those mods I did also on my lavvu some time ago (raising it up to create more usable space, zippers, velcro, removing unneeded material).
Also was thinking about the bug net thing, but didn't go for it, since mine will be only for winter usage, and I still need to be able to carry it.
Here some pics: http://dabberty.com/?p=1823

Are you gonna build a stove for it as well ?
I have all the materials, just need a free weekend to work on it.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up dabberty,

No, I haven't even started on a wood burner for the Lavvu, I've been side tracked on a number of other projects (and work) including a gas cylinder wood burner - for the patio pergola! (It's still up mid Oktober and if the UK weather continues like it has, the wood burner will be the centre piece on bonfire night!).
I've intermittently done a bit of i-net research on different types of 'heater' that I might create for the Lavvu but haven't gone firm on anything yet. It might just even end up as some sort of modified dakota fire!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE