Article: Some basic bowdrill tips and tricks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

One thing I have learnt over the years is that there are so many variables with the bowdrill that you need to accept that some days it just does not all come together - thankfully they are not that often.

Cheers

George

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Bearing block. Bung grass (Or I have heard a slug) into a wooden one to ease friction. A stone with an indent also works.

Maybe our ancestors did not use it once and throw it away, but presumably they used it quite a few times a day or week (Paul Kirtley has a photo on here of a Hazda using a hand drill to light a cigarette) and therefore the set would not last as long as if you knock out a coal every Saturday or every month. Therefore I believe the suggestions to throw it away after one use.....are to compensate for our decreased consumption rate of the kit and get us more in line with frequency of "builds" of hunter gatherers, which in turn gets us more in line with seeing what is available around us and interacting with it. Overall if you build a kit and take 6 months to wear it out then that's only 1 build and only 1 set of interactions with your surroundings. If you make a new set every week you have increased your experience by 2600%. That's a no brainer for me.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Many thanks for the best, least daunting tutorial on the bowdrill method I have seen. I think a lot more people might give this a go due to this.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Nice one,
Always good to see other people's take on things. Sometimes that slight difference in a piece of kit, the way that it is used or a difficulty surmounted can help others through a difficulty.
Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE