What kit do you recommend I need to start leatherworking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hey peeps,

I've long wanted to try my hand at some leatherwork, and would love to make a sheath for my Fallkniven F1 and (soon to buy) Silky Gomboy. I've no experience in this, but am pretty good with my hands, so just need to know what basic tools I'm likely to need to put my hands on, and any other advice anyone has, i.e. good places to buy them, where to buy leather, and what type of leather/fixtures I'll be needing too.

Muchos grassies and all that! :)

Chris

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Bare minimum would be a sharp blade, bradawl, thick thread and a stout needle (readily available on evilbay, quite often sold together). That was what I used for my first axe mask and the 3mm veg tan leather was also from the popular auction site.
Cardboard and sellotape help with prototyping
I have found that gluing the pieces together before stitching makes things less fiddly in the absence of a stitching clamp.
Since starting I have invested in pricking irons and a stitch groover, which both make the job a lot neater, I also found sewing through the pricked holes easier than the ones made with a bradawl. If you want to fit studs and poppers then you need to invest in a hole puncher (DO NOT BUY A CHEAP ONE definitely false economy), or individual punches

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
What's been said already but I'd add a pair of sprung/ self opening smooth jawed pliers. Until my fingers strengthened up ( and after any long periods when I'm not sewing heavy materials ) I found /find being able to use the pliers when required to make the whole experience more pleasurable. I know you should be just passing the needle though pre made holes but for me sometimes the leather fights back! Maun made the best pair I've used and they've been great for sewing webbing and sailcloth, especially the time I was going through, what with folded seams and a shoulder strap, 11 layers...

They must be smooth jawed and kept so or you end up chewing up the needles. No one goes near the pair I keep in my sewing tool box on pain of sulk.

ATB

Tom

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Brill, thanks for the advice guys. All noted and shopping list is being compiled.

Any recommendations for online tutorials too perhaps?

Cheers

C

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd get plenty of scrap leather - charity shops are a good source - theres definatly a learning curve to doing a good job

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi Bob,
Thanks again for the advice. :)
What sort of glue have you found to work best?
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I use the dirt cheap 151 Contact Adhesive from a local pound shop (strangely it's priced at a pound). It's actually a surprisingly good all round glue

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I'm just having a crack at my first piece of leatherwork and this is what I'm using. Not in the photo are Stanley knife, sandpaper and contact adhesive.

IMG_0780.jpg

The awl was a 3 inch nail and the stitch spacer thingumybob is made with a couple of panel pins.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE