My son and I just had a 42 acre wood all to ourselves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodywoodpacker

Jul 21, 2015
Hartlepool
What a great evening at Safezone in Yarm a 42 acre wood that we had to ourselves. Andy who manages it was great he even walked us in and showed us a great spot to set up with a chance of seeing the badgers ( although they didn't show last night).

8 quid a night fires allowed and loads of wood lying around to start the fire. All you need for practicing your bushcraft.

The only negative which isn't really a negative is that it's near to a minor railway line which can be a pain but all in all nothing to worry about as I heard 2 trains all night.

My son loved it and started his first fire without lighter or match.

Highly recommended only 3 rules.

No guns
No drugs
No excess drinking although who would I have disturbed last night apart from the barking deer.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So out of interest, why is he allowed to do this on his 42 acres, but on the other thread the guy is only allowed to sleep out 28 nights per year?

Im sure its something to do with who you buy the woodland from. One of the companies who sell woodland in the UK put a stipulation in, that you can only spend 28 nights per year on the wood.

Cant remember, but Im sure I read it somewhere.

Last edited:

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
But even if there is a 28 night restriction, the Facebook entry says it's a summer holiday promotion. Not all nights would be taken (perhaps 15 out of 28?) so there's still some to allocate later in the year.

Just guessing, mind,as I don't know the site or owner.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
So out of interest, why is he allowed to do this on his 42 acres, but on the other thread the guy is only allowed to sleep out 28 nights per year?

Im sure its something to do with who you buy the woodland from. One of the companies who sell woodland in the UK put a stipulation in, that you can only spend 28 nights per year on the wood.

Cant remember, but Im sure I read it somewhere.

I believe its actually just the law from the want of o better phrase, not a stipulation from a seller of the land. the problem for local councils etc is proving how many nights you've let your land be camped on....... either way threads pointing it out are probably better left alone.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I don't think they're limited to 28 days the same as brockwell isn't. All sounds great shame you cant take an air rifle for rabbit/G. squirrel BUT I can appreciate why and respect their decision.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE