Aweekend in Wet erm WEST Wales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well both really...
The forecast was never good but I went up the woods in light rain anyway, set up my pitch as per normal (using my pillow-case fabric DIY tarp) and set up the parachute with a "rim-line" of home twisted sisal rope to hopefully make pitching easier (it works but needs a bit of a tweak to get it to its best ... next time..
P8210002.jpg
P8210004.jpg
By the time the chute was up I was pretty damp from rain running off the chute and up my arms so I made a fire and cooked lunch.
The meet was meant to be a "Real Food" weekend with no packet or tinned food so lunch was a kind of fried bannock with home made Jerky - very nice too
P8210007.jpg
The afternoon was spent trimming back brambles from the cleared areas in the woods and preparing both firewood and my evening meal - a stew of beef, onions, garlic, carrots and mushrooms served over a more traditional bannock.
P8210009.jpgP8210009.jpg The weather was so wet the camera stayed packed away for most of the time - the rain was so heavy it was "misting" through the new chute which has yet to be waterproofed with smoke/woodtar!
Late afternoon I was joined by Mark and we had a good evening around the fire - though he ignored the "Real Food" bit and had Rat pack meals! :)
It rained a fair bit overnight but my tarp coped very well and Mark slept well in his tent.
Sat was not too bad and after a light breakfast (this is all mine!)
P8220012.jpg
we did a bit of spoon carving,
had lunch,
P8220014.jpg
went for a walk to look at huge Lime and Oak trees lost in Larch plantations, sorted firewood etc. The weather was mainly wet but the dry patches were long enough that we got stuff done. Most of the time the camera stayed packed away though!
Dinner for me was "Second Day Stew" - why is it stews always taste better after maturing in the pot for a day? - followed by home made chocolate Brownies.
At about 10pm the light rain/showers took on a new aspect... flashes of lightning and rolls of thunder presaged torrential rain which pretty well continued all night. The roar of the rain precluded fireside chats so we went to bed!
My tarp held up very well but acted like a drumskin and the night was noisy - the rain managed to get through Marks aging tent and he ended up with wet spots on his sleeping bag from drips...
P8220015.jpg
Sunday was another "light" breakfast and - as the weather was still poor - an early "takedown and push off" with me separating my load into 2 lots - wet and dry!
The fire was killed, the chute packed dripping wet and it was back to the van and civilization. Although much of the kit was soaking we were still dry and had enjoyed a "challenging" weekend ... almost as hard as the SWBs notorious "North Face of the Brecon Beacons" weekend!
Once home it was start the clean and dry routine...

Last edited:

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
What area of West Wales is that? Born and raised in Pembrokeshire myself. Just I intrigued how far west you went! :)

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Ahh nice, used to live in Johnson, between Millford Haven and Haverfordwest. Will have to give you a shout when I'm back in that direction. Always remember it raining down there though lol!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My kind of breakfast that is!

Not used my chute yet, other than in the garden, but with the weather being what it has been this weekend, not the ideal time to test it.

Looks a great weekend though John.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE