Bronze age axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Another Wilderness Gathering outcome...This time from one of Will Lord's workshops i managed to get a spot on.

4eb02aa4c69bbe4a72fe2a782ff981d1.jpg

8ccb8553005466d088376de02f735cfe.jpg

5552e7b270d12711e6fc83db20205688.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant to see such things being made :D

I worked with a whole series (the Scottish typology basically) of such axes, and they are actually excellent tools :D

Are you going to use yours ? or is it Bronze Age bling…in reality their ownership was probably quite something when they first arrived and were then produced here.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ooooh that's pretty. Lovely form. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to pick it up and hold it.
Like Toddy says must've been something when they first appeared over here. Like having the evening sun in your hand.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Brilliant to see such things being made :D

I worked with a whole series (the Scottish typology basically) of such axes, and they are actually excellent tools :D

Are you going to use yours ? or is it Bronze Age bling…in reality their ownership was probably quite something when they first arrived and were then produced here.

M
I really hope to get some time to finish it off. I've sawed the pouring spout off now but need to file the overspill areas and then pattern it and hammer harden the edge. Then find a suitable handle and bind on.

If i get it to that stage I'm definately going to do some chopping. :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Stunning. I always secretly hope to find some great archeological treasure when i go fly fishing, wading, in remote innacesible spots of rivers like the Swale or the Ure. You can still see the outlines of Roman forts, and I keep my eyes peeled just in case anyone dropped one a few thousand years back.:)
Funnily enough just found fish and rocks so far.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Will is a top fella and your work there is stunning.

It's on my list of things to do!

Yep, you need to get it to cutting standards and try it on something, just to have used it. Amazing work

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
what did you use as bellows?! i guess an electric blower or hairdryer etc. is out of option for authentic bronze age....
Was basically a leather bag with handles either side at an opening at the top. Open the bag on the way up. Close the opening and push down and repeat (lots)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Worked the bellows for bronze caster Neil Burridge, interesting trying to keep the heat at the correct temperature just by more or less operation of the bellows and dodging stray bits of hot charcoal.. My bronze tools, mostly cast by Neil, work well especially the bronze chisels. Copper is effective too although I sharpened one of my copper knives away rather a lot while doing a job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE