Aurora Borealis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Is there a particular direction / time where you see this more than any other? I'm about 40 miles north of Bennachie, I don't really get out much in the dark at the moment but I've not seen anything as prominent as what's in your pictures.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Must be nice to be somewhere where its dark enough to see them. :) Its certainly too light, and there is too much light pollution down here in the SE. The missus and I have been lucky enough to travel to Tromso in northern Norway twice to photograph them, and it is a magical experience to see them. There are a few pix in my Flickr...

Great photos - thanks for posting. Awesome natural show.

Thanks. :)

Is there a particular direction / time where you see this more than any other? I'm about 40 miles north of Bennachie, I don't really get out much in the dark at the moment but I've not seen anything as prominent as what's in your pictures.

It doesn't occur every night, and I recommend keeping an eye on certain facebook groups and aurora forecast websites. I can post links if you like. On nights where there is activity look to the north. Now you may not see anything at first but you may notice that it is slightly lighter on the northern horizon (if you are not out during twilight hours). You may even glimpse what appears to be like someone shining a search light into the sky but faint.

If there is a really big impact from a coronal mass ejection then you can see the colours in the sky with the naked eye. The images in the first post are a little brighter than what you could see on Feb last year.

If you have a camera set it to manual and change the aperture for f2.8, ISO 800 - 3200 depending on how bright it is and a shutter speed between 5 and 25 secs, again depending on how bright it is will determine how long you take the shot for.

Must be nice to be somewhere where its dark enough to see them. :) Its certainly too light, and there is too much light pollution down here in the SE. The missus and I have been lucky enough to travel to Tromso in northern Norway twice to photograph them, and it is a magical experience to see them. There are a few pix in my Flickr...

A few people have managed to capture the lights down south. I think that was the case earlier this year in March. I would love to head to Norway or Iceland to see them and photograph them. Maybe one day. :) I love your shots that you took. :) It is very rare that it is overhead in the North East of Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE