Arctic candles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Was unsure where this thread belongs, but here goes. At the risk of sounding like a total wolly. I've been given a few bits of sub zero kit, including a box of "arctic candles" by a friend who's in the forces and recently did some arctic warfare training. Nothing special to look at, just a white kind of thick candle.

Now my question arises as my mate reckons they're edible and are used as emergency food when it hits the fan, last ditch kind of situations. Now if this is true they're surely a worthy item in emergency kit or bug out. Can anyone confirm or deny that? They smell a little like a sweetened lard. Almost white chocolate smell mixed with animal fat smell. Ordinarily I would have passed it off as him trying to get me to eat wax, but the smell has me wondering. And I'm sure people understand my reluctance to take a bite.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
If they're the genuine British Army Arctic Candle then I believe they are the long burn ones made from Tallow which does indeed make them edible (if you are hungry enough)

DB

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are such things. They may not taste wonderful and can give you the runs but edible candles have been around a long time. Yours sound quite posh if they smell like choccies :D The ones I had were distinctly "savoury".

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the confirmation gentlemen. I actually got 2 packs. One British and as you said smell very much like tallow/lard. The others are apparently Russian and they smell sweet. Suppose they'll make the grade for cold weather kit and the ones in there now can go to hacksaw candles. If nothing it'll make for a fairly funny after dinner situation with Steph when I don't tell her and take a bite of a candle!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A romantic dinner where you eat the candles. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
I know a bloke who famously ate the core of a corn cob because hed never had it fresh. Must have been like eating a pool cue

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Tallow candles are good flux for soldering the leads on stained glass windows.

I wouldnt eat them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE