Soyer stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ill keep an eye...the last one I saw at was at an antiques fair in Norfolk.It was £30.We have two of them working at our living history events when the field kitchen is running.Had to get a new bowl made though as the old one tended to have blobs of solder at the bottom!It was minging anyway.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

yup I've got the field kitchen, but it's a bit flimsy and small and I am a very sad man indeed. I keep seeing them in museums or books taunting me. I so regret not blowing 200 on one when a guy was ebaying them a few years back.

whats set me off this time is reading "Feeding Tommy" by Andrew Robertshaw. At least ill be able to pick up a Dixie easy enough....

atb

tom

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
They are out there seen one at the Malvern show last year ..

I remember years back Anchour had loads of wood burning stoves all ex military ,,Who knows where they were from...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
There's supposed to have been warehouses full of them ready for Civil Defence up into the 60s. I've seen them with 1950s dates cast into them so they were making them for 100 years.

Its pretty irrational but I soooo want one!

cheers!

Tom

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Sad news for all those ex-military, but the M-67 was retired from service last year! Finally the single fuel policy and H&S did for it �� but there is talk of a replacement.

As for Harry (The B@stard) Lomas, I'll call Bullsh1t on him for saying the Soyer Stove was still used on exercise in Germany. It was not in service on '94 when I joined and not used in the Field Catering site in '99 when I did my Officers Food Service Course, they had pulled it out of the museum.

I believe that the Army still run an Alexis Soyer dinner night every October at the new school of catering in Winchester after it moved from Aldershot a few years back.

For those who have worked in the tower blocks at St Omer, they are long gone and it is now the site of HQ 101 Logistic Brigade. Shame as they did a cracking cheap breakfast and good meat and bread scheme in the Victualling department.

Q- Why do you never look out of the windows in the tower blocks at St Omer in the morning?

A- Because then you'll have nothing to do in the afternoon. (This being a reference to the fact that gpthe chefs are so bad, they were never actually taught anything!)

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I read somewhere that most of the Army's stock of Soyer Stoves went down in the Atlantic Conveyor. That doesn't account for all the hundreds, possibly thousands of civil defence ones though Possibly scrapped? Or sitting in some British warehouse 13 covered in Cosmo, calling to me in the long watches of the night.....

They turn up all over, I believe they, and civilian versions, were popular on farms for boiling up mash.

atb

tom

Reactions: Insel Affen

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Only the Army would send them down south were theres no wood to use them .....

Atlantic Conveyor seems to of been a useful way of striking off a lot of kit

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Er, there's vast amounts of peat there which works well in a soyer. Each house and farm would have had large stocks cut and dried so they wouldn't have had to cut the stuff.

Atb

tom

PS they could be gas or oil fired, see patent mentioned below.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
lancashire
After weeks of searching, i have found this forum and this thread.
can anyone help identify this ?
all i know , it has a plate on it with ER and the royal emblem with a makers mark of Sott & Co , Oldham dated 1952.
it would appear i cant post pics.....
how do i post pics plz ?

Aug 30, 2015
lancashire
I have a Ludgate, very similar to the one in the picture with the guy with a beard.
was going to turn it into an Ugly Drum Smoker but i havn't got the heart to ruin it.
its on fleabay for sale.

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Hey Insel Affen,
I resemble that remark. I was at St Omer in the late 60's early 70's and we trained B1&&dy hard. I left training with a C&G 706 part one and two and a man-management qualification. The facility was first class and we were taught by some of the best chefs from London including one from the Savoy. If you had anytime to look out of the windows of the tower block, then you were,nt learning. Shame its gone now.

Don

Reactions: Insel Affen

Skidaddle

Jan 30, 2019
Grange over Sands
Anybody know where you can get a army surplus Soyer Stove (they were still being issued in 1991 I've read) or detailed plans of one please?

Yes, watching the first episode of Bullets, Boots and Bandages has set me off!

ATB

Tom
Haha, all these years later, it's now January of 2019 and the repeat has lead me down the exact same path.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE