best knot to join fishing lines....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The barrel knot Mountain suggested is a common one and should work well. Could I ask ahy you're joining them though? Is the mono going to be a leader? If so you might also consider using a swivel rather than joining them directly.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Also loop to loop is a strong option - blood knot is good for tying hooks but not joining lines. Why do you want to join mono to braid???

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Also loop to loop is a strong option - blood knot is good for tying hooks but not joining lines. Why do you want to join mono to braid???
Disagree. It's precisely for joining lines. It's one of the strongest knots for that purpose. Check out the wiki link.

A blood knot (barrel knot) is most usefully employed for joining sections ofmonofilament nylon line while maintaining a high portion of the line's inherent strength. Other knots used for this purpose can cause a substantial loss of strength.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In my past 50+ years of fly fishing in British Columbia, both fresh and salt, blood knots in mono are adequate for making up leaders.
Normally, I'll add 3' to any store-bought 9' leader for changing flies.
In all those years, I'm still using all my Hardy Marquis reels and spools. Extremely well-built.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Disagree. It's precisely for joining lines. It's one of the strongest knots for that purpose. Check out the wiki link.

I'm with Mountain. Never used a barrel knot (blood knot) for tying on hooks; that's better done with a clinch knot, or an improved clinch knot, or a palomar knot; depending on the line..

The barrel knot Mountain suggested is a common one and should work well. Could I ask ahy you're joining them though? Is the mono going to be a leader? If so you might also consider using a swivel rather than joining them directly.

thanks for all the replies!

what i need it for is a homemade rig(with a handline): braided line as main line and a short piece of monofilamment with a float- a swivel would not work for that...

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland

^^^^ As above.

Knifefan I think the OP is talking about a braided leader (?) or a grippy braid and tube leader, if it's braided line just tie a figure of 8 on the bight to the end of the braid, both of the former come with a loop end.

So, tie a figure of 8 on the bight to the end of the mono. Pass the looped end of the braid through the mono loop, take the free end of the mono through the loop of the braid and pull all the mono through until both loops are mated and sitting nice. Blood nots can then be used to add droppers and tying in hooks.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I always thought one of the best knots for tying two lines together was the double fisherman's knot

double_fisherman_knot.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE