Dry belt pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm with Tonyuk (post 2 ). I feel that the pouches in the links are too limited in their application and lack flexibility in use.

Yes, I am after them for a pretty specific usecase. I've tried using small dry bags inside belt pouches, and access is just a whole load of faff.

I've come to the conclusion that a waterproof dry-bag inside a pouch is the best solution. I have noticed from youe recent (very interesting posts ) that you are going down the belt kit route. I have been trying to do this for years since before reading Cody Lundin's take on waist packs. I use a old 1litre size pouch I picked up in a mountain equipment shop many years ago and line it with an Exped dry bag. Only those things needing to be kept dry go in the inner bag, leaving space for other odds and ends such as keys to go in the pouch too. Then I don't have to unroll the pouch every time I need something. My belt is really a Macpac Module of about 7 lts. Inside is my bits and bobs in a larger exped bag, 'phone in a roll up plastic cover and FAK in another exped. Other loose kit is clipped to a carabiner inside this pouch readily accessible from the large top zipper. The belt section has navigation pouch, waterbottle in a pouch and room for any other bit eg knife or bino pouch threaded on.

I am flattered. You seem to have confused me with Suzanne Williams. I'm happy for that, she might not appreciate it as much tho :p

Having said all this, I am currently experimenting going back to a small backpack into which the above mentioned dry bags go. This goes complete into my large pack on trek.

PS I'm enjoying your videos and learning a lot as my Pyrennean patch has much in common with your mountains. My wife is envious of your Loden coat. She has a big formal one which she loves and likes the look of yours for travelling.

Yeah, Suzanne's video's are rather good aren't they. One day when I can afford a laptop capable of doing video editing, I might have a go. My DSLR is capable of producing decent video. Alas my laptop is currently struggling to allow me to post to the forum due to having 90+ tabs open in chrome, if I try to do some video editing, that may will make it catch fire...

I have been investigating the idea of a belt pack for day hikes and for cycling, primarily to carry my camera. Alas, when you stick a 1kg camera, plus 1kg of water, plus lunch in a belt pack, it tends to fall down... I am pondering seeing if I can retro fit my PLCE daysack yoke to my camera belt pack (Lowe pro inverse 100AW).

J

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Mea culpa: but I find your posts interesting too and read most of them.

Any way it is an interesting quest you are on. I try to get kit that does everything as i travel down to France and on the way am likely to mountain walk, river canoe and canoe just off shore in the Mediterranean. My aim is to get a small grab-bag suitable for all of these activities which can live inside my main pack. Last tear I watched my waistbag slide down a mountain side with all my emergency gear because the single buckle had come undone. Luckily a tree root caught it I I had only a short but hairy slope to get down to retrieve it. My younger son has been using a small dack sack which he keeps inside his bag and bought me one as a present. I'm using this instead this year and the system works well. So far i find the day sack more flexible as odd and ends such as camera or binocular can go in and my waterproof layer fits into the back rather than being strapped to the waist bag. The biggest surprise is that small items are easier to access from the sack than the waist bag. Downside is a sweaty back, but the waist bag also does not overcome the sweat problem, just re-locates it.

Joe O'leary "Wilderness Survival Guide" recommends a similar system. And while I'm hi-jacking your thread, the answer to Sandbender's query is Cody Lundin "Outdoor Survival Kit" . Both of these boks are available on Kindle.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

That'll keep the natural fibres types happy. :)

I'll stick with my Maxpedition Octa...

PA190020.JPG

...probably the toughest bumbag in the world...

:)

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The blurb on the site says:
Day 6 on the river and the side canyons beckon. A camera and lunch would be perfect were it not for the deep pools and scrambling to the rim. The Seal Pak pack provides just the sort of hands-free protection and storage you need. 
The shop says:

http://m.rei.com/product/752609/sea...ferralID=539b2151-2471-11e5-9549-005056947d48
Pack is not designed for submersion. Use with sensitive electronic devices is not recommended.
What's the point in that then?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
T"...What's the point in that then?.."

That seems a bit rubbish.

The other issue with a bag like that when used to store a camera is ease of access, you just wouldn't be able to get a camera out of the bag fast enough for some shots (and if you are on the water, you might not be able to get the camera back in fast enough either).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That seems a bit rubbish.

The other issue with a bag like that when used to store a camera is ease of access, you just wouldn't be able to get a camera out of the bag fast enough for some shots (and if you are on the water, you might not be able to get the camera back in fast enough either).

Which is why our family camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT5, waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, wireless with GPS. :D.

No waterproof pouch needed.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Which is why our family camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT5, waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, wireless with GPS. :D.

No waterproof pouch needed.

I have something similar from Olympus.

In times past when I owned a larger, posher camera it would sit in a Pelicase when I was out on the water, quick to get out when needed and just as quick to secure if a little white water appeared ahead...

pelicase3.JPG

...Pelicase do produce small boxes that could fit into a belt pouch.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The blurb on the site says:

The shop says:

http://m.rei.com/product/752609/sea...ferralID=539b2151-2471-11e5-9549-005056947d48

What's the point in that then?

Looking around on the other sealine products on the cascade designs site, they give all their dry bags the same rating (2 Watertight, Withstands quick submersions and will float if dropped in the water) as the Hip bag.

Edit: Further looking into it to fathom what's going on... it seems all roll top bags aren't considered 'waterproof' just watertight. Only product Seal Line makes that is waterproof, is duffle back using ykk waterproof zips.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/zip-duffle/product

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE