Putting up Large tarps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
After a few years putting up a small tarp for shelter or kitchen area at the moot, we are looking to mimic some of the large tarp set ups I've seen used.

I am thinking a cheap 'aldi' level tarp will suffice. Mindful of the risk from fir and sparks.

I have ALWAYS found the advice on BCUK to be superior than anything I've found on YouTube, etc. So, any guidance, images, examples, video will be appreciated.

Same knots?
Cheap blue rope suffice (as opposed to paracord)?
Owt else?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A bit of forward planning and careful site selection will pay huge dividends when dealing with large tarps. Have everything planned at ground level, then get your ridge lines high and start pulling - I've managed to get some very big tarps so high that you can't reach any of it from the ground.

The same knots should be usable but with the extra weight or size, larger tarps will need thicker rope and if the wind gets to it, the knots can jam and need to be cut out of the rope afterwards. Ratchet straps can be good for maintaining tension, especially on ridge lines.

A cheap tarp will do the job but is likely to suffer with the added tension - meaning it might not last for more than a single camp - but if that fits your requirements, all is well.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Blue rope is what we've used for the tarp at Dingly Dell for several years now and it works great. What I do is is have pre-tied loops on the rope and attach a bungee cord through it and hook it to 2 klingons at each end the ridge on the tarp rather than using the actual grommet that's there. That's done because t's a bit difficult to adjust a prussic knot that's 9 or 10feet off the ground :) The other difference is we use bungees cords instead for guy ropes around the edge.

The reason for using bungees as much as possible is because the builder type tarps have a tendency to tear if you don't have some give in the guys. I think it's the fourth time this year we'll be using the same tarp and can't think of any better way to pitch it.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Thanks all.

What size you going for when using a tarp as a general shelter/cover for seating, cooking, small fire area?

DD XL large enough?

Looking for something that's good value for money.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks all.

What size you going for when using a tarp as a general shelter/cover for seating, cooking, small fire area?

DD XL large enough?

Looking for something that's good value for money.

All depends on how many of you are sharing the space. Personally if there's more than one of you then you might find the XL too narrow once you get your fire going and the tarp pitched high enough to avoid sparks.

We use this sized tarp for Dingly Dell but there's 3 or 4 of us using it along with a decent kitchen area, fire pit log store etc.

Here's a couple pictures of our main camp area
1186149_10151635170683152_1418310206_n.jpg

DSCF1028_zpsc2b08c91.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE