Some of my last pattern welded knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Proper post for a change

Ok I'm rounding up my knife making adventure , as part of that I'm usuing up all the materials I have .
I have a good amount of nickel steel for making pattern welded blades , it needs using so this is the first of the last from me .

Started with 25 layer billet of alternating o1 tool steel and nickel steel . The original billet came in at 10.5 lbs , the biggest I've made .

Seen here with the power hammer .

New forge climbing in temperature .

The billet beginning to forge weld ,

Welded up I draw out the steel , you can see I have to work in over lapping heater lengths

Ready to be chopped and stacked ready for the next weld

Cut and stacked again to give me 150 layers

150 layers ready to be patterned .

Using my knife grinder I cut in a very specific pattern into the billet to get the wanted pattern (my version of ladder pattern)

A few stages missing next , but its bought to welding temperature then drawn out .
I have this lot as a result , some of it is no good .

The steel is thermo cycled to reduce grain size the annealed , ground clean and test etched .

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for posting, I never realized how much work went into making laminated blades and even with your skill and experience you comment that some of them are no good, must be a disappointment after all that work, can the not be reworked a bit.

The finished products look fantastic and are a testament to your skills, outstanding.

Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thanks , you can rework the steel sometimes , but I want to make theses last few I make the best I can make them from the best material I can make .
I have scrapped all the "bad" bits now , so there is no temptation to redirect them !

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like to say how wonderful I found this, but you took an ordinary laminated billet, which you worked hard on, and obviously did a good job on, and turned it into faux damascus.

(Please dont tell me that anyones replicated the genuine article yet.)

Thusly you have turned something that I would gleefully buy, into an article I go `mweh` at.

Tengu, the dispicable laminated snob.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Awsome thread that fella

Shame you're giving it up too. You've turned out some cracking looking blades since i'v been on here

Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Id like to say how wonderful I found this, but you took an ordinary laminated billet, which you worked hard on, and obviously did a good job on, and turned it into faux damascus.

(Please dont tell me that anyones replicated the genuine article yet.)

Thusly you have turned something that I would gleefully buy, into an article I go `mweh` at.

Tengu, the dispicable laminated snob.

I genuinely do not know what you are taking about , nor if it's a complement or insult .

It's not Damascus or faux Damascus , it's pattern welded , a very deliberate and calculated art/craft .

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
sometime when I dont understand how pattern welding works, it does not matter ....

the results are just magic :)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I have never before seen a post that has stopped me in my tracks. While I could never afford to own something like this, just seeing how these were made and the skill used is a pleasure in itself.
Thank you for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE