Bivi bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I'm liking the weight and small pack size of the Snugpak SF bivi bag but not the price especially when you have to add the extra tenner for the long version!!
Does anyone know of cheaper alternatives of equal spec ie pack size and weight of the above.
I'm not adverse to having a bash at making my own if someone knows where to source materials....?
Thanks for any guidance

Sent from somewhere?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Unless the zip is waterproof it's just another place for water to get through.
I use the USMSS bivvy with side zip but has a cover over it. Not lightweight at all though.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I have a bushcraftstore version of that and it's great really does the job but as you say not very lightweight

Sent from somewhere?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Alpkit Hunka is your best bet - genuinely. The zip on the snugpak may save you a few seconds when you get in, and when you get out, but as mentioned above, it severely compromises its waterproofness (i.e. the whole point of a bivibag), and is something to fail and let you down when you don't want it. Not really worth it to save you a few seconds each night in my mind....

Whilst i am 6ft3, and get away (just) with using the standard hunka, i would recommend the XL version....

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Just quickly scanned through that it seems a bit complicated to my limited ability. I have thought of getting a cheap silnylon tarp folding it in half sowing it then sealing the join. Anyway that's the plan who knows.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got a hunka and they are brilliant, however, they are tight and if you are any bigger than me (5'11 and 14.5 stone) you will need the larger one...I have the standard and it's very tight to the point I only use it when weight is an issue and use the British issue one the rest of the time.

To me a zip is just another place for the product to fail.....why take the chance.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
I have a really old two-person bivy ... I don't recommend that (shelter for the backpack? it has its raincover anyway. the rest is under the tarp/poncho to shield the worst elements).

With a non-zipper bivy, it's a pain to get in/out (especially in the night). Think about like that: Would you want a sleeping bag without a zipper? It also affects your methods to store some spare material in the bivy. Do you want to put a spare jacket over the sleeping bag in a cold night? Store your pullover there - and have access to it?

You want to get up in the morning, standing on your sleeping mat/bivvy, to dress up? Almost impossible without a zipper ... Unless you want it so slide down your body and pool at your legs. Which it would hardly do when you put your mat inside the bivvy.

While the zipper for sure is a possible breaking point, noone seems to complain about it for a sleeping bag. You have some extra material there to make sure the cold doesn't sneak in. And everyone seems to want a zipper on their bag. Mainly for convenience. The one flaw is easily fixed. So why not apply the same argument to the bivvy?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Because a bivvi bag is supposed to keep out water and a sleeping bag isn't.....the same way you don't have a zip down the side of a dry bag for convenience. Also a bivvi bag is able to lay in a puddle (personal experience in Brecon) or mud where a zip could be compromised by the mud or breached by the water....a sleeping bag isn't used this way.

Yes a zip will make the bag easier to use but there are down sides to that and lets be realistic, very few bushcrafters get bumped by baddies in the night but soldiers do....and they all manage to get in and out of a none zipped bag quick enough.

Each to their own really but as I said before I don't see massive gains with having a zip but I do see potential to fail :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
My old Pertex Bivi has a zip opening, in the same place as the opening on the Hunka. I did zip it up fully once, because I was cold, and the condensation was horrendous! I must admit, I like the idea of being able to zip up, to keep bugs/mozzies etc off, but it doesn't make for a pleasant night.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
In the snugpak sf one the zip is in the centre to aid getting in and out, which I quite like ad as I would nearly always be under a tarp as well I can't see it as too much of an issue.

Sent from somewhere?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My old Pertex Bivi has a zip opening, in the same place as the opening on the Hunka. I did zip it up fully once, because I was cold, and the condensation was horrendous! I must admit, I like the idea of being able to zip up, to keep bugs/mozzies etc off, but it doesn't make for a pleasant night.

Did you completely close the bag to seal it up? If so then of course the condensation will be horrendous, aside from one very expensive version of goretex that is designed for it, no bivvi bag is going to be breathable enough for you to breathe into the bivvi bag.

Infact, that goes against rule 1 of bivving:

Rule 1: Don't breathe into the bivvi bag
Rule 2: Don't breahte into the bivvi bag. Technically the same as Rule 1, but so important it's worth mentioning twice...

In the snugpak sf one the zip is in the centre to aid getting in and out, which I quite like ad as I would nearly always be under a tarp as well I can't see it as too much of an issue.

I like the design of the British army goretex bags, which have a large triangular gore making it easy to get in an out. It's just a shame they weigh a ton...

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants

Sent from somewhere?

Yes it is, and same thought process here as I use it under a tarp too, just keeps any windblown rain or dew, and wind, off the bag if the tarp sides are raised a bit.

The snugpak one I do find tight around the shoulders though, but I'm not of racing snake build !

I've just had my dutch army biviv bag with velcro side opening converted by Kev at Endicotts to a zip side opening :) Loads of space around the shoulders and a velcro flap covers the zip so shouldn't be any problem even if used without a tarp. It's a great quality bag but heavier and bulkier than some.

Cheers, Paul

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Paulm that's interesting are you saying you have the snugpak sf with the zip and it's a bit tight because I too am not nor will ever be a racing snake which has been a problem in the past with trying to find a bivi bag that allows room for me and sleeping bag.

Sent from somewhere?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've got a army one and it's a bit 'snug' shall we say 😉

Really?

They make two versions, one with and one without the triangular inset. It really makes a difference.

Don't forget when looking at bivvi bags that you really don't want to be compressing the loft of your sleeping bag, so they need to be big enough for you, plus the thickness of your bag, plus a little bit of room to move.

J

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Weekender; if an army bag is tight on you, the Snugpak SF won't be any good to you as it's 10cm narrower top to bottom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE