Barrel jellyfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I haven't seen any Barrel fish here in Bideford,North Devon. My neighbour said he had seen a few out on the water. The other day though along the water at Bideford Quay there were quite literally hundreds of Moon Jelly fish.

A couple of weeks ago my daughter managed to catch a Moon one while Crabbing off the Quay at Appledore. Which is slightly better than when my wife managed to catch a young Seagull !

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
They're big! Can't say I've seen one what that size before, been ages since I've seen one in general :).

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Can they be eaten? ;)

They are certainly eaten in the far east, and depending on your taste and how they are served they can be very nice to eat.

I have not met anyone here in the UK who can identify and eats edible jellyfish, far less how they would be cooked.

I must ask some of the old-timers from where I grew up if they ever ate or heard of them being eaten.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Our dog wants to eat the ones washed up on the beach. Try to stop him but sometimes he has a nibble, so far no ill effects.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
just spent a week in brixham loads of jellyfish there this year apparently because of the warm winter, lovely animals to watch
ab1c7fec132cc3c81a4238c82930fc44.jpg

denny 😊

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are sizeable for creatures. Much, much bigger than a football. Impressive to watch coming in or swimming. Sad to see dozens of dead ones washed up each day :(

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
They are certainly eaten in the far east, and depending on your taste and how they are served they can be very nice to eat.I have not met anyone here in the UK who can identify and eats edible jellyfish, far less how they would be cooked. I must ask some of the old-timers from where I grew up if they ever ate or heard of them being eaten.
Be interested to hear if you do find out anything, thanks Rory :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Was on Perranporth beach today.

Saw some of those hand sized ones with the four purple rings on but nothing bigger.

Its amazing to see them evaporate, they are mostly water, of course, and when that goes theres just a smear left.

Its doubly amazing to think they are the main prey of the huge leatherback turtles...if the jellyfish are around, do you think we will hear reports of sea monsters??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE