Strimmers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'm after a new strimmer - have any of you had experience of the cheap 50cc Actecmax or Timberpro models? The reviews are mostly good. The local mower shop Stihl range start at £150 for a tiny one. It's for clearing rushes, docks and ground elder.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i have an Efco brushcutter/strimmer. When it comes to those things there is a huge jump in price between the sort of hobby use and professional machines like a stihl. The Efco was the top end of the non-pro types and I have been using it in my woods with a blade (lost the strimmer head straight way!) for about 3 years now for knocking back brambles, rushes, small saplings, ferns, etc. Working very well so far :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Cool thanks Dave. The negative reviews are folk that struggle to start the machines or get bad customer service. I had a Mcculloch that lasted nearly 10 years but is now beyond economic repair.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm afraid we only use the Stihl ones at work so I can't comment on the two you're asking about, however, I too purchased a McCullock one for home use nearly 14 years ago.....and it's still going strong and even after a winter in the shed with old fuel in it...it starts first time everytime! Can't say that for the Stihl's at work! Lol

Sorry....not a great help to your search except to say, maybe look for another McCullock this time?

Cheers,

Bam. :)

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I own a Ryobi and a McCullock, The Ryobi one is ten years old and the McCullock is even older. They are both good strimmers and both have done a lot of hard work over the years and will continue too in the years to come.
Buy the best you can afford. I use a stihl strimmer at a local grave yard that Iv been helping to clear and look after and its far better than the two that I own. when I need to replace mine then that's what I will go for.
Some local mower shop's will sell recon stuff. If you could pick a stihl up second within your budget then I would go for it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to blow up a strimmer a year (ryobi and similar), bought a big bike handled Husqi with a full harness several years ago. It was a revelation, light, balanced, perfect line feed, always starts first time. Did cost double what the cheap ones do but already paid for itself.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Cheers chaps, think I'm going to go for a recon if I can find one. Meantime its out with the scythe and the goats!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I worked landscaping for a time and always found sthil to be very good for the job. We used a few Macs and burned them out within weeks. That said we where asking a lot of them. The bump feeds can be tempromental but we just used to wind the twine on backwards and cut the twine manually (better yet use bicycle brake cable) and they worked great

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I use a 48cc brushcutter most days. It's a Kawasaki. I would highly recommend Kawasaki. I prefer them to Stihl, and they are less money new. Still a lot of money for infrequent use though.

Keep a lookout on Ebay, always seem to be Stihls on there, among other stuff.
Maybe stick a wanted add on gumtree, or have a word with a mower repair shop. There are loads of brushcutters hanging around in garden sheds, some quite good ones, that are never used. Trouble is, finding them.

I've used the cheaper end of the market. I once had a Sanli, it paid for it self, so it wasn't so bad. Not quality though. Parts are not cheap for them either. Unless you really are just twinkling around the edge of the lawn every week, i'd be inclined to leave them alone.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Tanaka are an outstanding machine. Shame this one had a D handle, but so long as you have a good osteopath, it'll be fine. I'm guessing this is 24cc, so not very powerful, but a blade should make short work of the heavier stuff. If your not contracting, you can go a bit slower.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TANAKA-TB...811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2801413273

These kawasakis were an outstanding machine. Dunno why it has Ryobi on the shaft mind. If its a genuine little machine, it should last a domestic gardener a long time. I doubt it will get many bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-...412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d339cabd4

Just two random examples. Search Used Brushcutter on Ebay. Obviously, anything like that needs to be thoroughly checked out. Check out parts availability too. Clutches and the head gearbox are most common failures. Shafts can go where the slot into the clutch too, but that is not so common.
Pistons and rings can go, not difficult or expensive if you can get them, and do the work yourself.
A commercial brushcutter, used for domestic, and reasonably well looked after, shouldn't really suffer from any of the above.

I love Brushcutters.............

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE