My VERY basic kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I still think its a bad idea.

A small tent is much more versatile than anything else. If you have to chooe between a hammock and a tent then take the tent.

But, hey, Im well known for my antipathy to hammocks...

Tengu, the only ground nester on the Tengudo...

so we have a kit update, i have my hammock, tarp and a few other bits heres how it looks now:
incoxj.jpg

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Any thoughts on cordage? You can get 100 meters of webtex 70kg paracord for a few quid, and personally I Jack wrap it onto most of my gear. Its easy to learn and a good way of carrying a lot of it without it taking up more space. Take some time to learn other methods of fire making too. I tend to carry a Ferro instead of lighters now, after all lighters run out of gas, but if you know how to make a fire drill you always have the option. Good start up lot though! Are the tubes on the widow the ones that come with it? I can recommend theratube black (or silver if you have the strength) there far more durable and much more powerful for hunting! Keep on it bushcraft is useful but addictive!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Have you got some clothes that you can go outside in? I'm thinking jeans, trainers, hoody, that kind of thing. If you have, get dressed, go outside, and spend some time working on your tree and plant ID, your knowledge of "bushcraft" will improve more quickly that way than by any other.

Kit that I'd add to the clothes I'm currently wearing:
notebook
pencil
camera
magnifying glass
many many field guides (collins do some very good ones)
water bottle/flask.

I would add to that list:

• Library card

Knowledge ways nothing, and a library is an invaluable way to learn more, and as long as you don't return books late, shouldn't cost you a penny (maybe a few pence to reserve a book from another library).

I would caution on jeans tho. Get them wet and they are cold and clingy. Not an ideal choice.

Any thoughts on cordage? You can get 100 meters of webtex 70kg paracord for a few quid, and personally I Jack wrap it onto most of my gear. Its easy to learn and a good way of carrying a lot of it without it taking up more space. Take some time to learn other methods of fire making too. I tend to carry a Ferro instead of lighters now, after all lighters run out of gas, but if you know how to make a fire drill you always have the option. Good start up lot though! Are the tubes on the widow the ones that come with it? I can recommend theratube black (or silver if you have the strength) there far more durable and much more powerful for hunting! Keep on it bushcraft is useful but addictive!

Paracord as the cord to use came about due to the availability of it post WWII exceptionally cheap. The reality is, there are much better cords out there now, technology has moved on. Lighter, stronger, easier to use. I recently gave an [thread=132236]overview[/thread] of some of the options out there, that article is not exhaustive.

J

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Paracord as the cord to use came about due to the availability of it post WWII exceptionally cheap. The reality is, there are much better cords out there now, technology has moved on. Lighter, stronger, easier to use. I recently gave an [thread=132236]overview[/thread] of some of the options out there, that article is not exhaustive.

J[/QUOTE]

Having a read through that you may well be right in that para isn't always the best option. And I've had dinghy Dyneema recommended to me in the past I believe. I suppose I still use standard 70kg para because someone when I was starting out was using it and it's better the devil you know! That said out of what I've tried I find it the easiest to learn knots in.
Agree on the jeans front too, personally I always wear dickeys normal work pants they're hard wearing and don't clam to your body. Jelly insert kneeling pads are handy too saves my slightly dodgy knee!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE