Starting out with flower IDs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Hi guys, getting better at tree IDs and was eating wild garlic the other day. Decided that everytime I go out I'm going to chose 3 plants to ID to try and increase(that means start) really my plant knowledge.
So here's my first three, tried the online ID, and the amount of info is baffling. Any recommendations for quick carryable guides to help start me on this journey?

in the meantime here's my first 3, that I didn't know today, can anyone help me out?

Cheers Rich

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
The top one is an umbellifer. The flowers look like cow parsley but there is no idea of scale in your photo. The umbellifers are notoriously difficult to identify so you will need a really good guide book. I use a small one by Tutin which just looks at umbellifers.

The middle one is a pink campion, probably Silene dioica.

The bottom one looks like a campanula or a member of the bluebell family but I can't see enough of it to be sure. It isn't a native English bluebell, you can see that by the way the flowers are arranged on the main stem. Do you have a picture showing any of the leaves and the overall form of the plant?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cranmere's post is spot on. Get a book on British plants, (there are several, and all pretty decent). Then you need to look not only at the flower itself, but at the whole plant, including leaves, as these are often the only way to tell things apart. Some plants are easy, other groups, like the white umbellifers that include your cow parsley, are notoriously difficult.

The second pic is, as others have said, red campion. The third looks to me like a bellflower of some sort (Campanula, as Cranmere said).

Take it slowly and talk to folk who know. Ask them not only what it is, but how they can tell. Many local authorities and local Wildlife Trusts will run plant identification events for beginners at this time of year.

As a starter, have a go at finding and identifying different species of buttercups. There are 4 or 5 species that are quite common, and it will enable you to learn to look at the whole plant.

ganstey

Settler
I too am starting out learning wild flower ID. I recently went on a "wildflower walk" with a local expert, and learnt loads - You get a definitive ID, and can ask that most important question... "Why?". They can also tell you about similar species that might be confusing. Try your local Wildlife Trust, Forestry Commission, National Trust, etc. to see if any of them run these walks. They are often free, or in exchange for a small donation to the organisation/charity.

I also have "The Wild Flower Key" by Francis Rose which is said to be the 'bible' for British wild flowers, but it takes a bit of knowledge to get started with it, and it's definitely an ID reference book rather than a 'dip in' read.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I'm doing exactly the same in my local woods filling my phone with photos of all flowers and trees etc and going through them one at a time. The only one I am stuck on at the moment is possibly cow parsley but as above even with the book mentioned above about umbellifers which is very technical i'm struggling to have a confident id. From the book I need to wait until it seeds which will help more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE