Swedish army trangia (stove)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraft kid

Apr 7, 2015
England
hello guys and gals

i am a scout from the UK and i need a stove to cook on for me and maybe another person
iv'e been looking into the Swedish army trangia (stove) and i was wondering what is better ali or steel for a scout
(a scout is someone who cooks, eats,drinks and generally cares for themselves and others but maybe not their kit)
also has anyone got a link for a seller who sells both (preferably a steel one) from the UK?

one more thing i would prefer the steel one as im going to hang it over a camp fire ,so if you cook on a ali pot over a fire would it melt?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have an Ali Swedish and it is my 1st choice when it comes to cooking. It will fit 2 rat packs fine, can boil water for tea and I have even steamed buns in it. Yes, ali can burn but just how hot where you thinking of getting your camp fire. A stew over a normal fire it will take in its stride easy. I would think that a steel one would be better but that is not to say there is any thing wrong with the Ali one. Go for it

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think the SAT would be a good choice particularly if you are on a budget. Both stoves are heavy especially the steel one, not an issue unless you're doing big walks with it.

Both are pretty versatile, it would be possible to melt the aluminium but it shouldn't happen if you have something cooking in the pot (as the heat is transferred). Be careful not to let the pot boil dry however. The steel version is IMO better for cooking, you can even bake and deep fry in it (I don't think I would recommend it though on safety grounds). I pack mine with extras like a decent metal mug and brew kit. You could also carve some utensils that fit in the kit.

You can get both from Military Mart and there are lots of videos on YouTube showing the how to get the best out of the cook set. Enjoy.

bushcraft kid

Apr 7, 2015
England
i emailed military mart about the steel version and it turns out they don't have the steel one in stock at the moment. here's the email:

Hi,

Sorry we have sold out of the Swedish grade b stainless steel trangia stove.
We only have in stock the aluminium versions garde a priced at 9.99 or grade b priced at 8.99

if you require any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01695 228323

Regards

sharon

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi I am newby to bushcraft UK forum, but am a self confessed Expert on all things "Swedish Army mess kit" note I say mess kit & not trangia, it is true trangia were one of a number Who supplied burners for these kits hence they have become Known as S.A.T. stoves (Swedish Army Trangias) & to the naysayers I say "poppy cock", the only thing that makes these stoves rubbish is the user... (anybody that poo poos these wee stoves obviously has a lack of Knowledge & understanding on the intended use of these cleverly designed stoves.....) the design is by no manner of means just random, its like a puzzle when you know the design secrets, & used properly, the full potential of these wee stoves is revealed, they have a reputation for not being light but if weight is not an issue then all it takes is a little bit of understanding mixed with a dash of imagination & you have all the ingredients required for a versatile reliable & brilliant little field kitchen,
In answer to your Question The aluminium version used sensibly over a fire will not melt, these stoves have also have, quite rightly so, the reputation for being pretty much indestructible. I have both ally & SS versions I use mainly the ally version & I run Mine mainly on B&Q Bio ethanol & I personally have no issues with a lack of heat or painfully slow boil times, & I'm not talking about just boiling water for pot noodles (Gads) or reheating caned goods, but actually cooking from scratch raw fresh Ingredients Meat & Vegies. Meals like curries, pasta, rice, stews, home made soup etc fillings for wraps. From a furnace to a gentile chaffing setting , if you add a Tatonka simmer ring you can turn the heat right down for use as a double boiler for fondue or romantic chocolate covered strawberries the only limit is your own imagination, some say you can even use the wind shield with a small fire inside like a hobo stove, I personally would NOT recommend this as it draws the temper from the windshield making the metal very soft.
As a kid I missed out on the opportunity to be a member of scout troop and instead went off on on my tod on solo survival / adventure expeditions.
All that being said it's Horses for courses but IMHO I think these would be brilliant for a group of experienced scouts, & ideal for in experienced scouts to learn on, one set can easily be used to feed 3 maybe 4 Hungry scouts....

Reactions: Rossco

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
My advice to a scout would be;

Buy one of these sets from millitarymart;
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/natural-fuel-stove.html

This is essentially the same as the Swedish set only without the burner set-up which isnt the best anyway especially for some quick cooking. The pots would fit 2 rat pack meals easy and make 2 normal or 1 metal mug brew (It does for me anyway)

Then buy this cheap from ebay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Portable-Outdoor-Picnic-Gas-Burner-Camping-Steel-Stove-Case-Cooker-/301642693060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463b4e39c4

I know it sounds like a cheap pos, with that price and free shipping however i like mine a lot and use it very often with no problems even the spark system still works well although the metal arms aren't that long but still fit the pots well.

The stove is smaller than the alcohol burner and you can fit it, 2 meals, a gas canister and spoon in the pots quite easily, along with a lighter incase the spark breaks. This is a much more simple set-up doesn't require you to carry meths everywhere and makes just heating up the silver pouches and leaving hot water for a brew 10x quicker. If later on down the line you decide to go for a proper burner then buy the trianga one. Its much better in real use and smaller but produces more flame. You can use the windshield with the stove but its a bit tricky, or use it to burn small twigs etc.. the simpler it is the better it is normally.

They also have the wire hanger for cooking over an open fire and work just as well as the swedish set.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Have to ( politely) disagree get the swedish,

+1.

Then make a bag for it:

swedish_army_mess_kit_bag.jpg

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
These sets are marmite......everyone has their own opinion.
Think you will find the stainless version very very rare to find these days. Stick with the ally - its much lighter too.
There are probably better options for 1or 2 person pan sets out there - but probably not as cheap or as tough.
Using the ally version with a mini gas burner is a good idea. If you don't fancy making a bag, I put one in a small dry bag.

Using the meths burner is fine with the kit

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
"These sets are Marmite" brilliant Analogie. how true.... I hate Marmite!
But I love these wee military stoves & get moderately annoyed when they are referred to as Swedish army trangias, I run my "1968 M~44" (aluminium version) on B&Q Bio~ethanol in my standard issue Svea burner, & I get moderately excited talking & reading about them. I love the Marmite discussions about these cleverly designed stoves, your either in the the reheat canned goods & boil water for tea & pot-noodle crew or your in the elite club of master wizard stovers who have discovered the design secrets & cracked the enigma that is the Swedish military M~44 & have revealed the stoves true potential & can actually cook raw meat & veggies conjuring up culinary delights to satisfy even the fussiest of pallets. and with the tatonka simmer ring you can tame the dragon & impress the ladies by useing it as a fondue set for chocolate covered strawberries (don't forget the cocktail sticks)

Alan

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Been using the ali one for 10+ years over fires, in fires, on the military burner, trangia burner, gas stove , electric ring gas cooker. You wont go wrong with this and I think its more versatile than the trangia 25/27 cookers.
Just comes down to what you like. I like the fact that I can use it on the meths burner first thing in the morning for a brew and don't have to get out my doss bag to light a fire.
Then once I'm awake I can stoke the fire and fry my breakfast in the small pot while boiling porrige or water for another brew.
it will serve you well and as others have said check out youtube for extra info on how they can be used. there is an american guy who cooks everything in his - fancy a pizza?

Cheers

JFW

nunzionuk

Ack.. I had one of them, couldnt get on with it, ended up gifting it away.

I then got a trangia set, much better, and if the sizing is too big, get their triangle window shield thing, or a honey stove for it.

Only good thing about the SAT is the trangia burner, its rock solid, and mostly built to last (just let it cool abit before putting the top on, else you melt the rubber seal)

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm with you hammock man get the Swedish, they do come up on eBay from time to time, bidding can be fierce though, but you can see exactly what you are getting. They are not all the same & some can be a bit roughly made

bushcraft kid

Apr 7, 2015
England
i have gone ahead and bought the ali version from military mart then went out and bought some bio meths,(well my mother did, im only 14) and had a go at boiling water. i didnt time it but it took about 4-5 minutes to boil about 250ml of water in the "pan".
needless to say i am pleased with my purchase and thank you to all the people who helped me decide.

Dan :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
@bushcraftkid.............glad you got it sorted. Don't for get to keep a lid on the pan when boiling - will boil faster + use less fuel.

Lots of tips on the web (+ on here) for using trangia type burners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE