Bell tent and frontier stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I just bought a second hand 4m bell tent and ordered a frontier stove with flashing kit. Now I have two questions:
How do I know that my tent is fire retardant?
Anyone know anything about installing the flashing kit? I read up on it but not sure if I should install it tent up or down?
Any pointers will be appreciated 😊

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Tent up, site your stove. Mark centre of stove pipe on canvas. Cut hole, stitch hem. Follow instructions on flashing kit. That's how I did mine.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As Didicoy says, it's pretty straightforward. Easier with two people, one inside to fit it and the other outside to hold onto the exterior part of the flashing.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I just bought a second hand 4m bell tent and ordered a frontier stove with flashing kit. Now I have two questions:
How do I know that my tent is fire retardant?
Anyone know anything about installing the flashing kit? I read up on it but not sure if I should install it tent up or down?
Any pointers will be appreciated 

I've done my 4m tent too. It's daunting but easy enough. The canvas is unlikely to be fire retardant. You can get spray on retarder or just be careful. Stick to wood with the Frontier, it doesn't like coal as it burns too hot and is not up to the job. I used intumescent silicone on the chimney gasket.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks for your replies. I guess, as most people, I am a bit hesitant to cut a hole into a perfectly good tent. Your replies gave me the reasssurance I needed :)

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I managed to instal the flashing and had a first go heating up the tent. Absolutely love it!!
Now I have to get planning on how to transport everything including canoe, cooking kit, dog, daughter and SWMBO. Then there is food, tools, dutch oven etc etc...
I drive a Nissan Xtrail but space is getting short in that car. Paddles as well, air beds, tarp and so on! Where will it all end? :confused:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Have the 5m bell tent and we've been reluctant to get the stove because as you say, you spend the monies on a nice tent, it seems weird to cut a hole into it.

One of our best buys was the 3m x 4m canvas awning and 1m wind breaker. It gives you pretty much the same room outside of the tent as inside. We use it for a table and chairs set up, wrap solar powered lights around the outside of it and its fantastic for playing cards or just chilling out in the evenings.

Avoided the bedroom divider as it takes up too much space, so to give our eldest his privacy we hang a canvas sheet on the inside attachments. Interferes with the chandelier thingy, but it gives him his own space... although on our last trip he opted for his own two man tent, this next time he's hammocking with a tarp. Might be doing that myself if there is the space.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was nerve wracking like you say the thought of taking a blade to an expensive tent.
We marked it out then attatched the metal part of the flashing before cutting the hole. Hole cut, silicon flashing in place and some sealant to stop any chance of the fabric tearing.
As mine was going into a TenTipi which have steep sides I have a wedge of timber that I can slide in and let friction hold against gravity. This though un needed is to keep the hot flue away from the canvas on windy days.
The Chinamans hat my mate made for the flue helps with compustion and stops me getting backdraghts and smoke coming back into the tent.
'Tis lovely sitting in there on a dreich night though; Frontier blazing away, candles lit chatting away with a wee tipple.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Do you have the chandelier thingy as well?

I thought it was a bit of a 'hippy' gimmick when I first saw it, but it gives off a decent amount of light considering its filled with just tealights and it lasts a good few hours.

Need to bite the bullet and get the stanley knife out I think... we have a wood stove at home and wouldn't be without it, so I can only imagine how cosy the bell tent would be with one.

Secondary reason was the kiddies running into a hot stove, but as I keep saying, that is what fire guards are for and the kids know better now anyway... we've been using the bell tent for about 5 years now... they love the zipped windows more than anything else. Spend hours staring out of them, pretending they're in a castle most of the time.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Now there's a thingy I need. That chandelier with the tea lights in it is what I want to lure SWMBO into more camping activity!!!!
Went to Go Outdoors to see if I could find a double height airbed (to put on my socks in the morning cos of my bad back!) but nearly came away with a blow up sofa ! Looks great cos you could use it outside too if the weather allows it :lmao:
Now to the big questions ............. where do I get the chandelier from? and Where do I get a canvas tarp to have a bit of an outside space plus a less wet entrance???
Help me out on these questions, please????
:confused:
Oooops, before I forget, I probably mentioned this earlier, but I need some canvas thread and needle to stitch the ties for the A-frame back on, where will I find them?
Thanks for any pointers and hints guys

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Chandelier is expense but brilliant for both light and heat. Surprising amount of heat in fact.
We just bought a round table that fits around the centre pole. Again expensive but works great.

We have used ours for family summer camping to -15 in scottland to lads camping trips at touring cars.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE