£2 Charity shop SCORE! USA MAde cast iron 11" skillet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Check out this bad boy..

11" 3/8" deep fry fat free cast iron pan by Wagners of USA. I was nosing through some localish furniture bearing charity shops and saw a few inches of the handle sticking out of a bag of freshly donated goods.. I had to rummage through cuz I knew it might be treasure!

And of course my treasure hunting sense was right. :D

'Excuse me, love! Do you work here?'

'Yes, how what's up?'

'I found this, will you take £2 for it?..'

'Yes of course'

(In my head ' EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH :cool:')

Can't wait to gently clean off the little bits of surface rust and then follow the seasoning instructions that are stamped in the back!

Gone cook me up some steaks and big mushrooms!!! :p

Never owned cast iron cookware before, anyone got any tips??

Thanks for looking. :approve:

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Get it cleaned up, oil it and cook it in the oven for a bit then let it cool. buy a big pack of streaky bacon, have it for brekkie for a week without washing the pan should season it nicely.
815210834273c6e79ce0d270426d8f90.jpg

Fried eggs cook well in cast iron and theres always cornbread

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Clean it up, oil it, bake it,, repeat if you want to.

Bacon will work as well.

Don't wash it in soapy water or scour it after you've oiled it, I often just tip some water in, heat it up and then everything lifts off easy when I'm cleaning, give it an oil now and then and all's good.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Nice find!

I have worked a few years at a charity-shop workshop, it was terrible.:lmao:
Every time when I saw something interesting, I thought:" Hmmm...... what can I do/make with that."

Youtube has a lot of good tips to clean/season them.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I Have scrubbed it with warm water and a sponge (no soap or any chemicals) good and proper then fried a whole load of pork belly fat that was left uncooked from last night. I like pork bellies with mustard marinade so it was quite convenient really that I had fresh-ish pork rind and fat.. about half a kilo! lol let's just say it fried up to a crisp with a tonne of smoke on the hob but left me with lots of good natural fat which I then backed into the pan in the oven for about an hour. Then poured out the excess fat for some dinner.

Then!... I cooked some really fatty yellow skin corn fed chicken cuts which came out great due to the grill lines. Then picked out any bits left in the remaining fat and added the previous pork fat back into the pan and finally into the still warm oven until it cools.

Then I'll use it for fancy steak dinners and good big bits of meat that are begging for a tasty grilling!

Now I just need an oven mitt.. holf shoot that thing was breathtakingly hot even with a kitchen towel on my hand.. :rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, you are so lucky...I seldom have had much luck at charity shops, oddly enough, given my good hunting skills

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Beats my price I've got the same pan got at a car boot sale for £4 haggled down from £6.
Does steaks a treat.

Craig. ....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I Have scrubbed it with warm water and a sponge (no soap or any chemicals) good and proper then fried a whole load of pork belly fat that was left uncooked from last night. I like pork bellies with mustard marinade so it was quite convenient really that I had fresh-ish pork rind and fat.. about half a kilo! lol let's just say it fried up to a crisp with a tonne of smoke on the hob but left me with lots of good natural fat which I then backed into the pan in the oven for about an hour. Then poured out the excess fat for some dinner.

Then!... I cooked some really fatty yellow skin corn fed chicken cuts which came out great due to the grill lines. Then picked out any bits left in the remaining fat and added the previous pork fat back into the pan and finally into the still warm oven until it cools.

Then I'll use it for fancy steak dinners and good big bits of meat that are begging for a tasty grilling!

Now I just need an oven mitt.. holf shoot that thing was breathtakingly hot even with a kitchen towel on my hand.. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're well on the way to seasoning the inside. Remember you need to season the outside of the pan as well; the oil helps prevent rust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE