working for national parks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi all,

I am just playing with the thought that I should become a park ranger.
It seems to be logical that I should do what I like plus getting paid for it. But what are my chances?
I just started looking for the necessarily qualifications and experiences for this job. Let's say 2 years from now I got my qualification, great. What are the chances? Has anybody know anything about this park ranger thing?
Thanks for any answers.

Laz

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I looked into it 3 years ago. The pre-requisites for employment were a degree in conservation/land management, chainsaw CS30-CS34 inclusive and the princely salary of £18.5k, no accommodation but a work vehicle provided. The National Parks offer around £22k and the NT offer some with accommodation.

The local National Park offered a no salary/expenses training scheme over 12 months with NO guarantee of a job at the end, but it now appears to be administered by the http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/aboutus/jobs website which offers training for a salary of £13k pa with a one year fixed contract.

Last edited:

Lacijag1

Forager
I looked into it 3 years ago. The pre-requisites for employment were a degree in conservation/land management, chainsaw CS30-CS34 inclusive and the princely salary of £18.5k, no accommodation but a work vehicle provided. The National Parks offer around £22k and the NT offer some with accommodation.

The local National Park offered a no salary/expenses training scheme over 12 months with NO guarantee of a job at the end, but it now appears to be administered by the http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/aboutus/jobs website which offers training for a salary of £13k pa one a one year fixed contract.

Hi, thanks for that info.
I've already checked that site out and applied to become a volunteer park ranger, to get some experiences.
Thinking about to start a level 2 and later the level 3 course in country side management. Just don't know does it worth it or not? What else could I do with such a qualification?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi, thanks for that info.
I've already checked that site out and applied to become a volunteer park ranger, to get some experiences.
Thinking about to start a level 2 and later the level 3 course in country side management. Just don't know does it worth it or not? What else could I do with such a qualification?

On the QCF a degree doesn't hold an equivalence until a L5, so a L2/3 won't be of great use elsewhere outside of Land/Estate Management roles.

greensurfingbear

After 15 years since graduation with my BSc in Environmental management I am now a Senior Park Ranger. If you want to do it go for it, but it is a hard job to get into. Not only do you need the qualifications there is an expectation that you will also have a considerable amount of experience under your belt, either as a volunteer or as seasonal posts.

I'm of the opinion that its going to get even hard now with government and local authority budget cuts but if it is what you really want to do then seriously don't stop trying. It took me a good few years after uni to get my first Ranger post but it was worth it. I still love my job and I still enjoy the the drive up into the hills to get to my office, just wish there was less paper work and more outdoor time!

Lacijag1

Forager
After 15 years since graduation with my BSc in Environmental management I am now a Senior Park Ranger. If you want to do it go for it, but it is a hard job to get into. Not only do you need the qualifications there is an expectation that you will also have a considerable amount of experience under your belt, either as a volunteer or as seasonal posts.

I'm of the opinion that its going to get even hard now with government and local authority budget cuts but if it is what you really want to do then seriously don't stop trying. It took me a good few years after uni to get my first Ranger post but it was worth it. I still love my job and I still enjoy the the drive up into the hills to get to my office, just wish there was less paper work and more outdoor time!

Hi,

i just sent back my registration form to a volunteer support officer at the south downs national park authorities. that's step 1 :)
hopefully i'll get a taster day in few weeks and i can see how it goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE