Bootfair bargain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Every time I get a car boot bargain someone comes along and goes one better.

<Retreats to Nesting box to sulk.>
What did ye get....seriously, my best buy at a car booty was a Tramontina Machete and a 1942 British army folder for £8 the pair....everything else has been the odd Britool spanner and screw driver...nothing spectacular.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
And troll a few people along the way as well it seems...
Who's trolling who in this thread....3 bites you've had at me here...try one more.

Edit, My mistake, wrong poster...Anyway...you replied to me without me saying a word to you...you are just ****** off because i said having stuffed nicked can be classed as careless, which it can...Lots of stuff gets stolen because people dont take into consideration the thievin bassa factor, I've had stuff stolen because i trusted people maybe i shouldn't have...so what...get over yourself.

Someone Broke into your house while you were on Holiday...My guess is they knew you were on Holiday....Why is that.?

Ps, You are the one who just had to bring up the word "Stolen" in this thread...Nothing like trying to heap guilt on a guys find and take the gloss of what was a great day for him...

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Ok, the main question here is how the seller found himself with a Woodlore knife without knowing what the thing is worth? if you had bought one, you certainly wouldn't be selling it for £25.

What a bargain that is!
I have to say as a keen carbooter of more than 15 years of regularly attending carboots. It's still surprising what turns up and how little it can be bought for after only a few years of ownership, be that of a trendy item, fashion or hobby. For all we know, the seller may have purchased that knife 18 years ago. Paying just short of say £100. Not everyone would expect such a tool to actually increase in value over those years. Like the £500 PC only 6 years old now selling for £50 if they are lucky. Or the £200 hifi only worth £30 these days. If the man was happy to get a quarter of the knifes original value back after so many years. Then see it as like has been said, gone to a good home, much like most of us prefer with things we have owned and even treasured. For those of you who haven't attended a carboot sale & more to the point, get on site very early and see for yourself the incredible bargains that genuine people want to sell, get rid of. Many of the first time sellers feel shy about asking a realistic price so early on in the day. It's often the case, they feel that no one will buy their carboot items and they have not only got up very early often in the cold, but tired and wanting to be back in bed or watching TV, etc. they worry that they won't make back the sellers entry fee and petrol money & Many sellers Don't. I think you have had a wonderful score. Enjoy and thank your lucky stars that you saw it first. I know loads of people who search out a particular type of bargain, be that tools or antique/ collectable ceramics. These can have a resale value equally on par with the value of this knife. I know nothing of antiques and I dare say, I walk past them daily. My loss you may say? Each to their own skill set. I do very well myself in a wide variety of purchases. I buy for myself. For my own needs and I know what I am willing to pay. Today I bought a inflatable bouncy castle and blower unit. Bought for someone's daughters birthday party and just taking up too much space. I paid £30 for it. I tried to get it for £25 but like the seller said, it's still early. This afternoon I watched the same make of bouncy castle in used condition sell on eBay for £122 plus £20 postage. My daughter and son will enjoy that bouncy castle for years to come. If I come across a good chainsaw and the asking price seems ridiculously low. I do ask about its history. I have even asked for a receipt and taken down the car registration number. Last thing I need is to be working on trees and the police confiscate my tools. So let's all be happy for this guy in that he hasn't had to pay a silly inflated £500 price for a very good secondhand knife.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Cracking find; well done! Car booter of the year if not decade with that one. I'm terrible with car boot sales, especially the tool stands. Nearly got a complete 3/8th socket set now to add to the workshop. My hat is well and truly off to you!
Unbelievable that someone had it for sale at that price, even the hint of 'Ray Mears' on the blade didn't prompt a cursory search for value!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE