On Scout Otzi style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
[video=youtube;rJWgSTtg3ZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWgSTtg3ZI[/video]

Hello all Mr.Black Here. Not very active here but I wanted to share this.
I am about to head out on an Adventure for my 50th birthday(last January) I wanted to do something Cool for that marker so I settled on Climbing Mount Whitney In Otzi styled kit.This is a short of a day trip that a friend shot.I hope to share more soon of the build and the trip.In short a tribute to another time and the Man ,the people.

More asap Hope its OK I posted
Best to you all
M/BK

Reactions: zornt

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Hear is some of the other Gear

1541c3e188f31553a9f3fe049be5d40c.jpg

f5aa6fc0272331989745ee90443382de.jpg

5c8140f6f9b2ae244252ce895954ac31.jpg

af269d700dee7bf06f784a81d68c3c88.jpg

92fb618420ab25079b4e33ee5f21f7c3.jpg

Reactions: Bishop

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Yes Very Comfy surprisingly That day was a about 80 and humid in South Texas haha.All mobility tests have really amazed me.When first doned its slightly boardy but after a minute or two its like a pair of old jeans

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
The workmanship on that ruckack is wonderful. Was it comfortable to carry?
Thank you. again very surprised on the Carry I had to use some drift as far as materials but the straps shown here are of mulberry bark I roughly prepped it and used a combo of twining and three strand braid I had a thought about a backup leather harness but may just stick with this.there were know straps that I know in the find complex so again I had to fill in some gaps.There is almost a kernmantle effect in the straps. it tightens on the cross bar when loaded and grabs snug.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haven't been able to watch the video yet as I'm reading this on my phone (though I'll.remedy that later). From the pictures though the attention to detail looks superb. Something I'd love to try myself. Kit and clothing are wonderful. What did you eat while you were out? Did you keep it true to what's been recorded or did you go for modern foods? I suppose the only way you could make it more realistic would be to have some folks chasing you armed with bows.
Look forward to seeing the video and getting a chance to read more of your thoughts on it all.
Again I'm very impressed.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been following your progress on BcUSA - I love it!
I had plans to try this myself ... but now I am even more keen to have a bash (after my other projects are done ... it could be a while...) :)
Great work indeed!

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Great stuff mate, fantastic work on all the kit...love the copper axe .
All the best for your trip, looking forward to the future posts.

Atb,
Pete.
Thank You for looking Pete Ill sure stash my flask,cup and lid case the little clay pots break lol

Haven't been able to watch the video yet as I'm reading this on my phone (though I'll.remedy that later). From the pictures though the attention to detail looks superb. Something I'd love to try myself. Kit and clothing are wonderful. What did you eat while you were out? Did you keep it true to what's been recorded or did you go for modern foods? I suppose the only way you could make it more realistic would be to have some folks chasing you armed with bows.
Look forward to seeing the video and getting a chance to read more of your thoughts on it all.
Again I'm very impressed.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

The video is a short made by a Friend at a old SERE Training area I work for 10 years.that day we ate some outrageous Bacon molasses jerky haha no evidence of that in the find but im sure the folks of that time would enjoy ha
The plan is to climb Mount Whitney in Otzi Styled kit It is the highest point in the contiguous United States 14,496 ft(it has grown a bit higher actually) this will be my third time up( first time in Goat Hide Leggings and coat). My ration will be based on the foods found relating to the find. I have einkorn flour and sloes as well as a custom Lanjager dried hunters sausage. Ill take standard brews and my Sherpa tea variant and hope a selection of Epic bars and some assorted slops lol

I have been following your progress on BcUSA - I love it!
I had plans to try this myself ... but now I am even more keen to have a bash (after my other projects are done ... it could be a while...) :)
Great work indeed!
Thank you Sir

To all sorry for delay in response In on Tx Time so I will get back in time for breakfast reading lol
Thank you all take care

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Got a chance to see the video today and enjoyed it. The clothing looks comfortable to move in, and again the detal of the kit is fantastic. Looking at the pictures of your outfit it reminded me of the reindeer & goatskin outfit that Dreadhead made when he was in Norway making the leather boat. Might be worth a looksee for you. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120132&page=2

Looking forward to more of your stuff.

GB.

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Got a chance to see the video today and enjoyed it. The clothing looks comfortable to move in, and again the detal of the kit is fantastic. Looking at the pictures of your outfit it reminded me of the reindeer & goatskin outfit that Dreadhead made when he was in Norway making the leather boat. Might be worth a looksee for you. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120132&page=2

Looking forward to more of your stuff.

GB.

Thanks again. I had a look at the link...World class!.I hope to add more asap
Heres another early layout with a Black Bear(Brown Bear was in the find for hat and shoe parts but I was not going to turn down this material gifted towards the trip haha) Hide for now

IMG_20150322_163805.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks again. I had a look at the link...World class!.I hope to add more asap
Heres another early layout with a Black Bear(Brown Bear was in the find for hat and shoe parts but I was not going to turn down this material gifted towards the trip haha) Hide for now

IMG_20150322_163805.jpg
Fantastic Mr. Black. Since my 40th was a wash out I may try something for my 50th in a year or two now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE