The tale of two Cyclops Rocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Having looked at Garys canvas Berghaus Crusader it got me thinking of my first Bergen a DPM Berghaus Roc ..:)

So being in the mood for a project I started the hunt for a suitable Roc :p,,,,

Then like buses two come along at once ...:rolleyes:

The keen eyed will notice that thay are both canvas :D

First up is the very eary Roc from at a guess late 70s .

Very clean only bit of writing is on the lid that will be covered as names on kit are a pet hate of mine .

No side Compression straps or ski holders

The early buckles ( very fidly to use )

These will be replaced with the later buckles from military mart

Very tidy badge .

Next up is a later Roc I would say early eightys :D

This one I bought really for the side pouches but i like it and intend to rebuild it so i have brought a later nylon Roc to strip down and rebuild into a canvas Roc , It will be a lot of work but fun :cool:

Compression straps and ski holders

the lid is part nylon so that will need replacing with canvas :)

The main body isnt in bad order but the back system has been to Brecon a lot if you know what Im saying ;) the frame is broken :(

Ye olde canvas five liter side pouches

Right one of the problems i have is most rocs sold were size two but i take a size three :( has anyone out there got a size three to take some mesurement so that I can convert both these to a size three

I need from a size three the full back length

base of pack to bottom of patch

top of back panel to top of patch

I will put up some pictures of the doner nylon Roc and some progress photos as i go along.

One of the Mods i will do to the rebuld Roc is the extended snow valance as offered by "Survival Aids ltd as the Special Patrols version " in the eightys making the bergen into an emergency bivi bag of sorts :cool:

Twodogs

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a feeling this thread will make me jealous.

Still I have a LA sting that could use some love so hoping to pick up some ideas.

Last edited:

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Love my old roc had it since the mid 80's, its been around a bit I can tell you. It has a couple of faults with it the elastic on the lid is weak and one of the side pockets need's the zip sewn back in. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Will be watching your progress with interest as I'm another Roc lover , my wife bouhht it in a charity shop about 15 years back I fixed the lid elastic and it's still going strong.

On Sunday I bought a new vulcan from TK Maxx and on old vulcan from a car boot sale .
The old vulcan is a former Royal Marine officers pack and has been moded a bit with zips for an extra pocket but will need a bit of tlc But well worth it .

Craig. ....

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thats brought some happy memories back. The Roc was my first rucksac bought i think 1982. Then I sold it and bought a vulcan in 1990 just as the PLCE Bergan was being issued and give that one away about 10 years ago (wish I hadnt)

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Arr its good to see that people remember the Roc :)

Right just finished first of the easy work taking apart the canvas Military Roc ,

Very well put together as you would expect from Berghaus at this time ,

Made me laugh if you look at the frame its been bent so that it fits better with the 58 webbing of the day :)

Next up is a trip to RTI to hopefully pick up some matching canvas for the lid seem to be the same as the kit bag of the day?

Twodogs

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Arrr a fun day was had today,, :)

Stripped down the donor nylon Roc , remove loads of good straps , buckles and other fittings to transfer onto the canvas Roc

Heres all the bits together ,

Also been up to RTI and picked up an Army "Sos-arge" bag thats made of a very simmler canvas as the rebuild Roc this will be used to replace the canvas panels on the lid giving the pack a better look :)

As you can see theres loads of stiching ahead and some thinking Hmmm do I make up some side pouches same as the berghaus centurian these are stiched on and non removable :D

Twodogs

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Looks a fab project, can I ask about the sausage bag, its size and supplier please…..good luck with the thread injector!

Paul

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Glad to see your trip to RTI was a success. :)

Side pouches yes - what about zipped on ones? You could then make the pouches thinner/larger. (Like Gary's front mounted pouch)

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Paul it just a normal " kit bag" theres loads on ebay ..

Martin we all know about you fetish for zips I think you must be an old punk rocker,,:D ,,the thing is in all the time I have used zip on pouches I never removed them so stiched on would work better for me ..If I fit them :p

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Update time :)

Back harness has been removed and saddle stiched into the size three postion ,

Loads of work done on the lid ,

Straps replaced , new berg buckles , velcro for the badges ;), nylon side panels replaced with canvas a new elastic fitted around the edge of the lid .

Start on the main body next :)

Twodogs

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Nice, interesting thread this, a lot of work, with the potential for a great result, there is something very special about something you create or modify to suit your needs, love it! Thanks for sharing.....

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE