Polish Lavvu setup the taller among us.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've often heard people say that the Polish Lavvu is to small for them, to be comfortable, without adding extra canvas in some form or another.
This got me thinking, is there a way to set up the Lavvu to get more room without adding extras.
Slightly less headroom but you gain over a foot at each end of a 6 foot mat and still loads of room for kit and boots. Okay it's not fully enclosed, but still makes a great shelter.
At the back of the Lavvu when setting up, peg out the grommet to the right of the buttoned join, then the second grommet to the left of the join. this will set the length to 8' 10". Push the excess canvas under itself. Carry on and set up as usual. I used an adjustable walking pole, set at 46" instead of the normal 59".

001.jpg 008.jpg 002.jpg 006.jpg003.jpg 009.jpg

Hope some of you find this useful.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
An elegant solution to an old problem, and free! Makes a better shelter than the original method, IMO. :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks for that. Very clear video too. (You want to take care of that cough!)
I think this would work using three of the four supplied pole sections.

Z

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the vid,think I got on o.k

Think what was throwing me was the button side are off center in the rear
Pic https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uij0z8zirezoab/DSC_0385.JPG?dl=0
Finished I think!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdfwvivktywk5ah/DSC_0386.JPG?dl=0
Hopefully iv not Mucked it up,with video and images that would be a tad embarrassing!

Buster

Looks like you've got it there, just need to pull it all a bit tighter. Nice one.

Thanks for that. Very clear video too. (You want to take care of that cough!)
I think this would work using three of the four supplied pole sections.

Z

Hi Zingmo, I tend not to use the supplied poles, as I usually get a stick, or suspend the apex from a branch or tripod. The cough is on the mend thanks, just had 5 days in bed with some stinking flu bug.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Well I slept in the new configuration till about half 3 this morning when it hit -1,i didn't have enough layers so rather digging around the house for them I called it quits,loads of room inside,reduced head height doesn't bother me so much and it's a godsend to not have to door the door buttons! Though for temperature sake I may find something to cover it up.
Had my candles on inside which was cracking.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jrh3g9c0nvgi19/DSC_0389.JPG?dl=0

6a.m pretty cold
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7r65pampyrqlnd/DSC_0390.JPG?dl=0

Maybe this set up with a mozzie net draped over during the summer,a canvas porch that could be dropped down at night in the winter?

Buster

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
And if you did want to fully enclose it, it'll only take a small triangle of material, with [I imagine] a lot less effort to put in than adding a whole extra skirt etc.

I like that a lot.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That is the solution to the Polish Lavuu problem. Obvious, but only once someone has the sense to see it. Thanks.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the great comments guys, I need to proof the Lavvu, then I plan to use it at the end of the month. Will post a report and pics of how it works out.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
That's a great video Crosslandkelly, well made and easy to listen to.

I have found another video here using an extra half tent poncho, has anyone else here tried this?
[video=youtube_share;0FyUQnigCgQ]http://youtu.be/0FyUQnigCgQ[/video]

I'm going Lavvu crazy at the moment as it may provide a solution for me living in it for a few months when I'm back in England.

I kinda like this set up, and one could make a fire reflector outside the vestibule area reflecting the heat back inside the tent if one didn't have a wood burner stove or chimney in a pinch.

Any thoughts on this set up?

The video mentions the good man has to configure the 3rd hood better.

I wonder if it had been corrected and tested yet.

Cheers.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the comments. Funnily enough I know Mike and we've camped out together a good few times. I don't think he was ever entirely happy with this mod, but it does work.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks for the comments. Funnily enough I know Mike and we've camped out together a good few times. I don't think he was ever entirely happy with this mod, but it does work.

Yes, I agree about one not being entirely happy with it, I would prefer to put an button removable extension skirt on the lavvu eventually, but this is a quick fix I may like to try, if anything just to see how it feels and works.

Keep up the great experimental work gentlemen 😊 and thank you.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Tbh, I think this is not the type of shelter for a long term situation that you are needing. A small bell tent or a proper Laavu may be more appropriate. PM me if you don't want to talk about specifics on the open forum. :)

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thank you Mr CrosslandKelly, I shall give it a go and see how it works. I'm only in the country two months a year collecting equipment to take back out to Kerala.

If it starts to get a problem I may invest in a small bell tent. I just wanted something I could sleep in overnight and heat up easily, after some thinking I think my Feuerhand lantern my suffice, if not I will add a few Whitby Handwarmers to my DuPont thermal suit/pyjamas. 😊

Much appreciated for the kind offer of advice.

I have a bicycle or public transport for my travel movements so a small Lavvu would seem to fit my purposes in that regard.

I shall be eating at my friends house and watching listening to his records too. 😊

Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE