MCQBushcraft - Introduction to Bushcraft series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Looks like Mike is doing a ground up introduction to bushcraft. I like his stuff, so will be watching. There will be an episode released every Saturday.

[video=youtube;nl5yJKyKFqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5yJKyKFqU[/video]

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I really rate Mike's videos highly, he has a great presentation style and production. Looking forward to this new series, however experienced anyone is they should take something from it...

Paul

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I really rate Mike's videos highly, he has a great presentation style and production. Looking forward to this new series, however experienced anyone is they should take something from it...

Paul

I agree. I haven been following Mike's channel for quite awhile now and I am certainly in favor of getting more videos from him each week!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm sure at one point in the video he says he works as an instructor. Anyone know who he works for.

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
his was one of the first channels i subscribed to, i love his tone and style of informal instruction......for me he reminds me alot of a young ray mears

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I'm sure at one point in the video he says he works as an instructor. Anyone know who he works for.

I believe he is a freelance instructor. I'm hopefully going to catch up with him at some point as he lives 2 minutes from my place, I'll ask him and let you know. I was going to ask him about courses anyway.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've just found his videos. Impressive production quality for a youtube video, most refreshing. So far of all I've watched the only let down is he's filmed himself fishing illegally... Of all the info he has covered, it seems weird that he failed to mention the legality of fishing without a rod in the uk.

I look forward to further episodes of his new series.

J

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
I've seen a few of Mikes vids on youtube and enjoyed them alot, not just for the content but for the presentation and edit quality. Was interested to hear him make the point about the practicalities of bushcraft in Britain and that it does not have that much real wilderness - or words to that effect.

Am hoping he will return to this in the series because we've all seenm the end result of relative novices heading out to 'do bushcraft'; lots of green branches chopped off and scorched craters in the ground.

Some footage in this intro featured a raised bed made from quite a number of young trees and I would be interested to hear Mike's take on adapting this sort of technology for an environment with more urban woodland and less real wilderness.

May 5, 2015
England
Just thought I would jump with regards to the fishing legality question. Hand line fishing isn't illegal and there is no literature stating such a thing. Bank lining is mentioned on the GOV website and this is very different and illegal in 'freshwater' as lines are left untended, although this method is not illegal on the coast.
A hand line requires a rod license and there is no minimum rod length. Ive been in a ream of fishing shops, shown my bushcraft kit and shared my fishing stores and I always make a habit of asking on legality. All is legal Ive been told many a time.

If actual literature can be supplied to state that fishing with hand line is illegal, I would more than happily state I'm wrong but there is no such literature from what Ive found or queried with experienced fishermen and women. - https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use

I often get called on legality, everything I do is above board to the best of my knowledge.
Appreciate the comments on the channel, means a great deal and enjoy the witch hunt.

Last edited:
Just thought I would jump with regards to the fishing legality question. Hand line fishing isn't illegal and there is no literature stating such a thing. Bank lining is mentioned on the GOV website and this is very different and illegal in 'freshwater' as lines are left untended, although this method is not illegal on the coast.
A hand line requires a rod license and is classified as a rod. Ive been in a ream of fishing shops, shown my bushcraft kit and shared my fishing stores and I always make a habit of asking on legality. All is legal Ive been told many a time.

If actual literature can be supplied to state that fishing with hand line is illegal, I would more than happily state I'm wrong but there is no such literature from what Ive found or queried with experienced fishermen and women. - https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use

I often get called on legality, everything I do is above board.
Appreciate the comments on the channel, means a great deal!!!

Hi Mike.
thanks for joining and commenting on the thread. Always helps when the individual can state their case.

May 5, 2015
England
Hi Mike.
thanks for joining and commenting on the thread. Always helps when the individual can state their case.

Appreciate the welcome. I must admit I'm a little 'surprised' about whats been said in the thread.
Apart from the articles on 'unlicensed instruments' there is no other literature stating that hand lining is illegal. A fishing rod can be an unlicensed instrument with out a license. I have a fishing license.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Some people always look to pick holes in the good work of others. Just keep doing what you're doing I think your channel is the by far and away the best on Youtube, looking forward to the rest of the series.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE