First ever trip out + further visits (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Brilliant thread.
nice seeing your daughter involved too.

if you look up magic biscuits on here you'll find another useful aid to firelighting . plus its something you can do at home with your daughter.

Reckon you've both caught the bug :)
As Ivan said winter is probably the most challenging for shelter building,fire lighting and generally being outside.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
I did think about the B&Q tarps but read that they are really rustly and annoying. While that's ok for a beginner, Tank has generously offered me his old DD 3x3 tarp, so i think i'll definitely be taking him up on that :)

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Went for a little trip out today with the nipper and managed to drag my little sister along for the day. Fun was had by all, so i thought i'd share some snaps.

Dinner

Om nom nom

I am now the proud owner of a DD 3x3 tarp and spend ages trying to pick a design to show off. Wasnt until the thing was spread out and i tried to put the first peg in that i realised the mud was about 3 inches deep and on top of concrete. We ended up using a horizontal tree branch as our ridge pole and bodged a lean to type thingymajig in case it rained.

Fire making is improving each time we go out and it's easier and easier to keep it alive, after having a good few tips in this thread.

There's just something about a good fire...

Little un sat whittling away with her knife

My sister really enjoyed it and is hassling me for an overnight stay already. We might have another addict around soon :D. Thanks for everyone that donated kit to us, it's made a huge difference to the fun we've had. I've posted an updated pic of my kit in the kit forum and thanked you all individually on there but for those that dont frequent that side. Globetrotter.uk, Onfire and Tank, you've made a couple of newbies eternally grateful. Thanks again.

Mike

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nice one mate.

Good to see the old tarp out of the cupboard and back into the woods has a lot of life left in it.

Good fire. Great to see you getting more of your family out.

T.

Bushmanron

Mar 26, 2013
Coventry
That looks like fun its s nice to have people you can share with. you were right not to go with the other tarp. tell Tank if hes giving suff away to look in my direction.lol

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Glad you enjoy my little trips. Not as much as we do but it's really nice to be able to share with like minded people.

I'll be reporting each session in this thread so stay tuned.

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Good thread this Fergs, thanks.

I'm in Leeds as well, really close to you in fact (just off Easterly Road). I'm also a newby to bushcraft having got my first knife and spoon knife just before Christmas and just discovered BCUK in the last few weeks.

Unfortunately I'm a bit confined to the garden at the moment as my eldest daughter is not yet four (maybe a bit young - I don't want to put her off forever!) and 'time off' parenting is pretty sparse. I also have less experience than you so you'd probably end up having to teach me things, not exactly what you're looking for. Even so it'd be good to meet up at some point in the future.

p.s. I'd agree that it was probably little scroats with (unfortunately) nothing better to do who trashed your first shelter, grrrr.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Havn't been on here in forever!

We've been out a few times this year. Nowhere near as many as i would have liked to but just enough to keep me learning and the kit from getting rusty. I'll upload some pictures in a couple of days.

That sounds like a plan Wiseman, would love some company.

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Good stuff, I look forward to it.

Like I say, I don't know when I'll be able to come out but let us know if you're going and I'll try to make it.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Bit of a cheeky thread bump but I've managed to get some free time lately and been back in the woods honing my knowledge and experience. I'm now somewhat happy with my fire making skills. My next step is a bow drill. I WILL get an ember eventually, though I've only really had about 20 minutes practice so far. Got myself a lovely Highlander Forces 44 rucksack today through Gumtree. I have a load of pictures to throw up over the next couple of days to put the thread up to date.

Hopefully i can meet up with a few of you guys now I'm a little more comfortable in the great outdoors and wouldn't feel like a burden hehe.

Fergs

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
s
I'm now somewhat happy with my fire making skills. My next step is a bow drill. I WILL get an ember eventually, though I've only really had about 20 minutes practice so far.

Fergs

Perservere! on my first serious attempt that was successful (i had many unsuccessful attempts prior to it....) i decided that on this attempt nothing was gonna stop me. i prepared everything, tinder, board and drill from the same wood, kindling and set to. long story short; 4 hours later I had a coal, then minutes later I had fire! so if you manage it in less than that, you beat me. but if it takes longer, then it takes longer, just be patient and determined! best of luck!

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Yeah i have to admit my first attempts were rushed and not very well prepared. I've been watching videos and doing a lot of reading on the subject. So hopefully my next try is more fruitful.

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Hi Fergs.

Great thread mate, nice to see some young ones by the fire and enjoying the outdoors.
Nice pictures too, thanks for sharing.
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE