little forged one for the daughter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I told my daughter I'd make her a little forged knife (like her sister's) for her crafts and hobbies and such.

Rummaged through the scrap heap this morning, and found this. I spark tested it and it was high carbon.

1-P1280908.JPG

Straightened it first.

1-P1280909.JPG

Then pointed the end.

1-P1280914.JPG

Separated a section on the corner of the anvil for the blade.

1-P1280915.JPG

Cut it off and filed the point a little to prevent any cold shuts. This steel looked like it was prone to them.

1-P1280918.JPG

1-P1280920.JPG

1-P1280921.JPG

Forged out a handle.

1-P1280922.JPG

Then the blade. And some more hammer work on the handle.

1-P1280924.JPG

1-P1280931.JPG

Cleaned up the outer profile a little with the file.

1-P1280933.JPG

Filed some bevels.

1-P1280943.JPG

After heat treating, I put a brass pin in the end for decoration.

1-P1280953.JPG

1-P1280957.JPG

1-P1280958.JPG

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was always so proud when my father made me something.

Sadly, then as now, he was mostly too busy. (forgivable in a working man, not so when retired.)

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for the positive feedback!

What are 'cold shuts'?

mrcharly, high carbon steels, especially certain alloys, don't move as easily under the hammer. There can be tendency, particularly when making points, for the steel to fold on itself, rather than move into the new shape. It's like it forms two lips similar to a mouth, rather than making a single smooth point. Then you have a fold hidden in the steel that comes out later when filing or sharpening it. Not good.

Sadly, then as now, he was mostly too busy. (forgivable in a working man, not so when retired.)

I often worry about my kids feeling this way, tengu. Fatherhood is the biggest responsibility a man can take on. "God, help me."

i really admire the fact you didn't used any powertools

Bogdan, thanks for noticing that. This is the most important part of my hobby for me.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
mrcharly, high carbon steels, especially certain alloys, don't move as easily under the hammer. There can be tendency, particularly when making points, for the steel to fold on itself, rather than move into the new shape. It's like it forms two lips similar to a mouth, rather than making a single smooth point. Then you have a fold hidden in the steel that comes out later when filing or sharpening it. Not good.
that makes sense, thanks.

I recently had a cold chisel fracture down its length - I was sledgehammering it into concrete - I wonder if the manufacturing process had created a 'fold' as you've described.

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Do you want another daughter by any chance forginhill? I'm not sure I could get away with it mind you. Think the hairy gorilla legs, the beard and bald head would give me away. :D
Nice knife, the build/forging pictures are great too. Always nice to see something being made.

ATB

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, you guys are makers and users, so I value your comments.

sign me up for pre-order when they fly into production ;-)

That's an idea. Should try putting out a batch, if I can find the time.

Do you want another daughter by any chance forginhill? Think the hairy gorilla legs, the beard and bald head would give me away.

Heh, heh. :)

I recently had a cold chisel fracture down its length - I was sledgehammering it into concrete - I wonder if the manufacturing process had created a 'fold' as you've described.

There are several possibilities. Good reminder to wear safety glasses doing such work. Whew. Of course, metal workers used to do a ton of cold chisel work before safety glasses even were thought of. That kind of thing is a great test of what steel can handle and if it's received proper treatment in the making process. I would only harden the working (cutting) end, but I don't think many manufacturers bother to selectively harden and temper like that. Hitting a cold chisel that's been uniformly hardened and tempered would definitely create risk of such fracture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE