Article: How to Poop in the Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
If poopin in the woods and you happen to have your pet Doggie with you...tie her up before going for a dump......especially at night! Trust me, wet doggy nose up the Jax is liable to make you jump about 8 feet like a startled frog.

Irvy

Mar 29, 2015
Glasgow
If you need an instructional video on how to poo, then you shouldn't be out in the woods.😅

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
If you need an instructional video on how to poo, then you shouldn't be out in the woods.��

It's not so much "how to poo", most Folk have that part down. It's how to do so respectfully and with minimal impact on the environment - that is the Bushcraft ethos after all.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
He does not say anything about where soils are thin or non existent ... if you cannot bury your poo it is best to smear it around over a large area so as to increase the surface area that bacteria etc can get at to speed up decomposition. Do not do this in well used areas.
If you cannot cover the poo to a decent depth do cover it with stones/brushwood and mark the site with a cross to indicate "Fouled Ground".
If it ain't a fire hazard - burn the paper so speed up decomposition. Wet Wipes contain too much plastic to decompose well.
Foxglove leaves are soft, strong and quite long.... moss make a good moist wipe - especially soothing sphagnum moss :)
If using sticks or stones - chose smooth ones - no rough bark or knots on the wood and water worn pebbles (slate gets very smooth indeed) are best. Avoid rocks with obvious crystal formations....
If you have no "comfy bum" but do have reading matter, pages from a newspaper or book are best it you scrumble them up (like preparing natural tinder) to break the "grain of the paper" to make it softer and more absorbent. Avoid using shiny magazine pages - it has the same absorbency as Bronco or Izal Medicated ...ie - none!
A natural sponge, kept in a sealed container along with a bit of vinegar is reusable, has historic provenance and is practical ... if not every-ones first choice....
It takes aprox 30 layers of toilet paper to fully insulate you hand from faecal contamination so a reusable sponge is no more likely to get you dirty than using standard amounts of tissue.
Always wash/hand-sterilise after pooing - you know it makes sense!

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Interesting info john, thanks for that. Tried all of the above bar the sponge (though as you say was fairly common in the past). When climbing/trekking in popular areas above the snow line (no point in burying as it just freezes, and when snow thaws mess all over the mountain :rolleyes:) we used to go into a waxed paper bag and then drop it into a BDH (sealable plastic tube) then strap to the outside of your pack and burn at specified point along the trails. The ethos was leave only footprints, carry out everything you may take in ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's not so much "how to poo", most Folk have that part down. It's how to do so respectfully and with minimal impact on the environment - that is the Bushcraft ethos after all.

I think this is spot on, it's not a case of just being able to dump in the woods but be considerate and have an understanding of what's appropriate where, it's easy to go into the woods and jsut make a mess, it takes effort to go into the woods and be considerate and put effort into doing it right for both hygiene and environmental considerations.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
On this subject I've heard different thoughts on depth of hole to 'go' in some say 6 inch is enough bacteria in top layer will break it down quicker but I've also read dig a deep hole and bury it ????

Sent from somewhere?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On this subject I've heard different thoughts on depth of hole to 'go' in some say 6 inch is enough bacteria in top layer will break it down quicker but I've also read dig a deep hole and bury it ????

Sent from somewhere?

Deeper holes are less likely to be accidentally disturbed. You're right though about the bacteria being more concentrated nearer the surface (generally best not to go below the topsoil layer for fastest decomp)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Interesting so generally then if your in an area not likely to be disturbed go for the shallow hole but otherwise dig deep. Thanks

Sent from somewhere?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think it tends to come down to more that our diet makes human waste more disagreeable to others. Meat eaters in general tend to have smellier more bacteria laden poop. Think how relatively inoffensive rabbit and cow poop is.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I ain't calling you a liar, but can you PROVE that?? 30 layers seems excessive unless your poop is as thin as Vodka......which if it is.......paper ain't gonna help!!

From my latest training as a Care Worker... when I was at school 30 odd years ago, the chem boys did an experiment with loo paper and yeast treated to be ultra violet responsive. In those days it took 8 layers to stop yeast , wiped with the loo roll, contaminating hands and then being found - with a UV lamp, all over the school. It seems that, as paper has become "Softer" it has become more porous too and the 30 layers is the current "total barrier" mark....but whether you believe it or not... please wash your hands....

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
if a request is made by the land owner to carry your poop out, what do you use?

I'm guessing nappy bag or similar.

also how do you dispose of it once out? dog poo bin?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not saying I'm right, but my understanding was that it was good practice to burn used toilet paper as it took a long time to degrade if you just buried it - would be glad to be put right if I'm wrong.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not saying I'm right, but my understanding was that it was good practice to burn used toilet paper as it took a long time to degrade if you just buried it - would be glad to be put right if I'm wrong.

Short answer: It depends.

Long answer:

If it is safe to do so, then burning the loo paper will result in what is left breaking down faster. However, there are times when burning the bog roll is actually the worst thing to do. Such as (non exhaustive list):

• Areas of peat - The embers of your burnt bog roll could cause an underground smouldering fire that could take out large areas. Avoid.
  • Australia - In many areas of the bush in Aus the area is so dry that burning your paperwork you risk setting light to half the continent. Avoid
  • Dry heathland - Much the same reason as the previous two areas.

If there is the slightest chance that your burning of the bog roll could result in wider fire, don't do it. The extra couple of months for it to breakdown in your cat hole, is worth it compared to the damage a wild fire could cause.

On the subject of how deep should the hole be. The answer is: It depends. In sandy soils, you probably want to go deeper, so that you get to some moisture that will aid decomposition. If there are wild animals that are likely to dig up what you've done, you want to go deeper too.

It's also worth considering the traffic in the area you're in. If the chances of your offering being accidentally dug up by someone else wanting to make their deposit are sufficiently low, then I would say the deeper the better. It's gonna rot down eventually, and ultimately it's better that it takes an extra few weeks to decompose, than it's dug up by a wild animal, or worse, a domestic dog.

On an unrelated note. This thread is a wonderful example of how versatile English is as a language. Just how many different ways can we allude to the bodily functions without outright stating it?

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE