Wombwell Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Hello UK Bush people, new to the forum and new to the idea of bushcraft. This is my first ever post in fact.

I have a friend on Facebook who I have been following his posts about his bushcraft experiences and the such and it has me really interested and wanting to try it myself.

I like the idea of Roughing it but haven't done anything like it since the school Days and even then it was just a few mates drinking and then sleeping in a quarry around a camp fire which we cooked sausages and burgers on!

That just about Sums up my total experience! Poor I know....

I was reading a thread made by leaf man I believe, who is apparently local to me and visits Wombwell woods. I read he was looking to start a group and have camp outs there. It was an old thread (dated 2010).

Not sure if anything ever came if it as the last post was 5 years ago.

So today I got up and dragged my little boy away from his beloved TV and we went and spent just under 6 hours exploring wombwell woods.

This is the first time I have been there before - I have been living in wombwell about a year now! This place is HUGE!
My little boy loved it just as much as I did.

He had been having nightmares recently waking him up, and so after watching a YouTube video on how to make your own dreamcatchers, I decided we would attempt it.

It's fair to say now, my 3 year does not have the patience or the attention span to sit and wind wool around twig for an hour! But I continued whilst he amused himself making fishing rods with sticks and twine and looking for "The Worlds Biggest Stick" and he now has a cool bushcraft dreamcatcher to hang above his bed tonight :)

If there are any people with experience local to Barnsley or even South Yorkshire that would be willing to meet up and educate me on all things bushcraft, I would love to learn some new skills and meet some new people!

11143113_10206617284336746_4556018523358302892_n.jpg

This is my little boy with his new dreamcatchers - the one i made and the one he made

guess who made which one :p

Last edited:

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Decided to go out this afternoon as it was forecast to be roasting. headed back into wombwell woods at about half 12 this afternoon with my pack up.

as i got to the lake area all the fish were in groups and floating by the surface of the water, 100's of them and not one fisherman in site to catch them....

DSCF6102_up_zpsbzz48rds.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF6100_up_zpsrt7b3pyl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There was hardly anyone walking around today considering how nice it was, had the woods to myself near enough!

so time for lunch...

i gathered all my bits of wood of different sizes etc

[URL=http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/JoelInman/media/IMAG0102_zpsv5sphocx.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/JoelInman/IMAG0102_zpsv5sphocx.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

and i used cotton balls to get it going, but a different method of igniting to what you may have seen before!
I used one of my ecigarette MODs to light the fire. i made a 0.08 Ohm Dual coil set up and fired it up while touching the Cotton wool. it lit up the cotton wool instantly.

IMAG0105_zpsqpglstyq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0106_zpscy9rwszu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My first fire...go me!

IMAG0104_zpsad2euvaq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Scrambled egg and Sausage - seasoned with salt, black cracked pepper and chives - delicious

IMAG0107_zpszqw2fc8j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0109_zpsatvonz7z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a shot of my new/First knife

DSCF6078_up_zpsw9cxmumc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i must have followed this little guy for 20 mins trying to get a snap of it.

DSCF6088_up_zpskttil3px.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Really enjoyed myself, it was nice to site out in the woods and cook up some grub and sit and chillout for a while. going back on saturday with the kids to make some bird seed cakes to hang up :D

Last edited:

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
How did I not know about this event lol. I was just going in with the kids to make bird seed cakes to hang up. But now I will definitely be attending with the kids.... Any one else going?

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
No worries, if you do come down on Saturday or sunday, I'll be the guy with a goatee beard and a Mohawk.... Come over and say hello, always nice to put a face to a forum name

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Hey guys and gals, so today this is where me and my boy went.... https://discoverdearne.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/sat-flyer-use-wombwell-woods-uplift_aw1.jpg

Here's just a recap of the day, my son loved it and didn't I want to leave bless him. The event is aimed mainly at the kids, getting them out of the house for the day, learning and playing.

Which is what kids should be doing!

IMAG0130_zps9jjinfjx.jpg

Everyone sat round as we build the fire and have a bit of lunch accompanied by guitar and singing.

As soon as the fire was lit, the kids had the marshmallows out and the bag was empty within only a couple of minutes

IMAG0127_zpsxnct9bxc.jpg

IMAG0128_zpsomvfpbge.jpg

This guy was such an entertainer, he spent all day singing, playing guitar and telling stories. The kids love him.... He is teaching them about the Roman's in this clip

VIDEO0018_zpszgbw3fys.mp4.html

Post marshmallow - sugar rush madness

IMAG0131_zpstl7qxkar.jpg

They had the kids making musical instruments out of recycled tin cans, twigs and wire and bottle caps. They also gave them some clay to make a cast, which they then melted pewter on the campfire and poured into their casts to make their own pendants and jewellery.... As soon as the adults saw the results, they all ran for some clay :D

Here are some of their casts next to the campfire awaiting the molten pewter

IMAG0132_zpspglxhamm.jpg

There was a woodland artist getting the kids involved in some of his artistic pieces...

IMAG0134_zpsfrvdx4n6.jpg

IMAG0138_zps6e3ze8pe.jpg

IMAG0161_zps3yozpri9.jpg

Instruments, tree climbing, shadow puppet show.... Loads for everyone to enjoy

IMAG0141_zpshessyz5d.jpg

IMAG0142_zpscqdeutie.jpg

IMAG0147_zpsx5hlrwpi.jpg

To finish the day off, more roasted marshmallows, chocolate bananas and pizza pitta breads

IMAG0148_zpsggufu7kb.jpg

Mine was a tad burnt, but I was too hungry to care!

IMAG0153_zps0oq6zvqg.jpg

Before we had to leave, the kids mixed up some moth broth and painted it on the trees so the could watch the Moths come and it it when it gets dark to try and identify which are which.

This is what they are painting onto the tree

IMAG0158_zpswzoiqdl7.jpg

Really great day and they have loads more on tomorrow, neither of us can wait... THE best free day out with the lad.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Looks like you had a really good day, shame I couldn't make it. I hope they do something similar again in the future.

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
It was really good, and today was brilliant too! Both me and my 3 year old son can indetify and tell you the difference between native, Spanish and hybrid bluebells .... Thanks to the bluebell walk today. We did some more land art, and we made bird feeders using lard on pinecones then rolling them in bird seed.
The Latin band that came brought boxes full of instruments for everyone to have a go on.

No pics of today as I plugged my phone in to charge but forgot to turn it on at the plug when I went to bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE