Tac vest or belt pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It would be used to carry basic fire starting tools and tinder, torch, spare knife, sewing needles and thread, pen, nylon tape, batteries, first aid basics, small fishing setups and rigs, wet wipes, water purification tabs, sharpening tools....etc

Basically anything you may need at any given time for a simple task without having to rummage through a large bag

Not sure how much of that really counts as desperate easy access items... but we're all different.

On my Osprey Tempest (Osprey Talon is the men's version). It has a pocket on each side of the hip belt, plus one small elasticated one on the left shoulder strap.

In the left hip belt is my emergency first aid kit. This is a First Field Dressing, a few plasters in a ziplock bag, and [thread=127274]some pills[/thread].

In the right hip belt is a small folding saw, a whistle, and some storm matches.

In the shoulder strap pocket is my EDC fire kit from Polymath Products.

If my knife isn't in my trouser pocket, then it goes in the right hip pocket. You can fit a lot in a small space.

Other packs have larger hip pockets.

Something else you might want to consider is the Maxpedition Rolly Polly dump pouch. One of these on your hip belt would have plenty enough space for everything you listed.

See post #10 :)

I will be going 1 man tent over the hammock and tarp setup due to costs (I am being bought a tent and bag for my birthday).
Will be wanting to be able to attach sleeping bag and rollmat either on top or bottom of the bag.

Will only be doing 2-3 nights out at a time for now till I get some experience.
Clothes for those days away.
Food for 2 people .
Space for a book or two
Easy access Bottle holder

I have yet to do a night out so I guess I don't know what I'm missing till I do it.

Yeah, unless you're packing particularly bulky kit, you won't need a 80L pack for that lot. Clothing wise, for 2-3 nights, I carry one spare set, plus what I'm wearing, along with clean underwear for each day. On my recent trip, all my clothing fitted in a 4L dry bag...

My food for 3 days fitted in an 13L dry bag (could have been smaller but I didn't have a spare 8L dry bag). Paul Kirkley has a video of a weeks food fitting in a PLCE side pocket (about 15L capacity).

Books fit in the odd spaces round everything else.

Many modern packs have elasticated side pockets that are ideal for carrying a water bottle. I used to use a 1L stainless steel Nalgene bottle, but decided at 340g it's far too heavy, these days I use an empty diet coke bottle (either 0.5L, 1L, 1.25L, 1.5L or 1.75L depending on the trip).

I would caution against getting too big a pack. If you have space, you will fill it. The more you take, the heavier it is, the harder it is and the less you will enjoy it (IMHO).

What's a yoke? Sorry new to everything bushcraft related

It's more military related than bushcraft, it's the shoulder strap part of the old PLCE webbing.

attachment.php

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This why I love forums, soooo much knowledge and experience shared. It save so much money and stress.

To be quite honest, if I hadn't joined the forum and asked questions, I'd probably have a assault vest that I could wear with my 200L bag which is too big for any occasion for me, along with a cheap nasty Amazon knife that couldn't cut its own blister pack.

Whenever I want to learn something new I search for a related forum and I am never let down.

I really appreciate all your help guys and gals.

Now I know what relevant size capacity I need, this is one big step forward. I want to keep the cost under £60 for my first bag.

Until I save up for something better/rugged and suited to what I want after some experience is gained.
I will pass my first bag down to my son if it is still in decent knick at said point.

If I was starting out, I would probably go for something like the Berghaus Munro. It's 35L is plenty for most trips, it's easy to attach things like a sleep matt to the outside, and you can expand it with side pockets as well if you really need to.

It doesn't come with integrated hip pockets, but if you wanted to add something like the Maxpedition Rolly Polly I linked to in my previous post, that would do the trick nicely. Or pretty much any other belt pouch.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The yellow bit in the middle of your egg :p or a set of straps/spider of straps that attach to attachment points on PLCE pouches:

g_day-yoke.jpg

You have no idea how much effort I went to to avoid giving that answer :p

Note, the yoke pictured is the day sack yoke, for use with the PLCE side pockets, not for use with the PLCE webbing pouches. See the picture I linked to for how it works in a PLCE webbing setup.

J

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
another solid option is a chest pouch, hill people gear make a good one, I knocked something similar up a few years back

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My 30ltr bags are from berghaus, karimoor, and camelback

Theres loads of other quality brands out there though and £60 will get you a very good bag

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Having worn a tactical vest, I can say they are hot to wear, you are far better off with either a belt pouch, or a cotton based gilet such as the 5.11 series.

Rob

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
You have no idea how much effort I went to to avoid giving that answer :p

Note, the yoke pictured is the day sack yoke, for use with the PLCE side pockets, not for use with the PLCE webbing pouches. See the picture I linked to for how it works in a PLCE webbing setup.

J

I'm aware its the day version, i was giving it as an alternative to the standard yoke so both versions are represented :p that being said it can still be used with pouches, just the hipbelt isn't 40mm wide.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You could try a Barbour Westmorland Waistcoat, not sure if they are still making them but they will turn up on ebay quite frequently.

nuUXNit.jpg

Not so tactical but enough roomy pockets for a day in the woods.

:)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could try a Barbour Westmorland Waistcoat, not sure if they are still making them but they will turn up on ebay quite frequently.

nuUXNit.jpg

Not so tactical but enough roomy pockets for a day in the woods.

:)

And they come with a JRT as standard, always handy for getting a rabbit for tea. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Here's my RIBZ and their contents. Theres still space for a litre bottle of water in one side and hat, gloves, headover in the other.

IMG_2017.jpg

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
It would be used to carry basic fire starting tools and tinder, torch, spare knife, sewing needles and thread, pen, nylon tape, batteries, first aid basics, small fishing setups and rigs, wet wipes, water purification tabs, sharpening tools....etc

Basically anything you may need at any given time for a simple task without having to rummage through a large bag

I use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015U789A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 for almost exactly that sort of thing.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Another idea is the chest rig, beats beltkit Vs rucksack.
The old SADF chest rig in brown black is worth looking for. Cheaper copies are out there in dpm/desert camo though.
Or couple of dump bags, attached to your rucksack hip belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE