Tac vest or belt pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
What are peoples views and experience with these items?

I'm torn between a belt pouch and a tactical vest for carrying essentials that I'd like to keep within arms reach without having to dig around inside my main bag to find them.

I love the look of the tactical vests with many different pockets and such and I am favouring this option the most at the minute but have not seen any posts about them or containing them....

Do people not rate these?

And pros and cons comparisons appreciated guys and gals

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made myself a simple light weight pocket vest - 4 pockets - which I find ample when worn over a 5.11 shirt... or with a Sporran pouch
P3100007.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A vest is what you wear under your shirt on a cold day. Something the "yoof" call a base layer. I believe the garment you are refererring to is a waistcoat. I am unclear what it is that makes it tactical though? Frankly none of garments are much good on their own militarily, although I feel I may patent the "strategic slipper".

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I got a tactical vest based on this idea, sold it on ebay in the end. Most of them aren't designed to have backpack straps comfortably over the top.

Many backpacks come with pouches on the hip belt which holds a few essentials for easy access.

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In the days before 9/11 I often flew wearing a "photograpers" vest which would hold about 25
L of kit and help negate baggage restrictions. Wouldnt like to try.it lnow. The vest spread the weight and load and was very user friendly. My good lady though it looked awfull.though. But better than a "fanny pack" as our chums from the colonies called them. Spreading gear thtoughout ones clothes and hiding stuff under them was best when travelling.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
A vest is what you wear under your shirt on a cold day. Something the "yoof" call a base layer. I believe the garment you are refererring to is a waistcoat. I am unclear what it is that makes it tactical though? Frankly none of garments are much good on their own militarily, although I feel I may patent the "strategic slipper".
This is what I mean.... I suppose technically its not a vest ....

lightweightblack_zps9f4d7eju.jpg

I would like to add my name to the strategic slippers pre-order list. Can I have my name stitched into the lining too :p

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Think on how much you would need in a separate pouch or vest first?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
It would be used to carry basic fire starting tools and tinder, torch, spare knife, sewing needles and thread, pen, nylon tape, batteries, first aid basics, small fishing setups and rigs, wet wipes, water purification tabs, sharpening tools....etc

Basically anything you may need at any given time for a simple task without having to rummage through a large bag

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use them all the time I have the 11L size regular in the 2012 version. Very comfortable even with a pack on and you can fit in an awful lot of kit.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, joking aside, you are never going to be able to wear that with a pack, both the shoulder straps and hip belt will foul it. The one you show is an assault vest, which is mission equipment and not designed to work with a pack. There are types of webbing that are designed to operate with a pack, but that is not it.

I do wear a sheepskin jerkin with large bellows pockets over a wool shirt in the Winter. It keeps my arms free and I can dump a load of cartridges in one pocket and a knife and small flask in the other.

I also wear an old OD waistcoat in cotton for summer shooting.

Other than that a leather pouch on long belt loops that hang below the hip belt of my pack are my choice. Webbing or assault vests are out, I have no desire to look like a Walt.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Before I realised that it's not a good idea to lug in excess of 30kg round Europe when travelling, I would carry a set of PLCE webbing[1], with a Berghaus Vulcan backpack on the top. It wasn't as uncomfortable as it could have been but it's not something I would recommend to anyone. I would also not recommend running through Walsaw Central Station the day after a major international terror threat has been announced and armed troops have been deployed in the stations... but that's a different story best told in the pub.

I've still got the PLCE webbing in a box, but I've not come up with a good use for it.

J

[1] 2 x Utility pouches, 3 x water bottle pouches, on belt + yoke

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Cheers for your replies people. British Red, I didn't even think about the straps being conflicting with the vest. But now you've said it, it makes sense haha

Scoman I had a brief look at those RIBZ but are they compatible with any/most bags? As I'm still undecided as to which bag I want.

What do you guys think? Would I be better going for the RIBZ and bag combo

Or

Should I choose a bag which is easily modifiable to add my own pouches to its straps etc

For the latter, any recommendations on good modifiable bag. And what is a good all round capacity for a day/night out bag - 80L?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What are you planning to put in said pouches?

80L would be enough for deep mid winter sub zero trips with food for about a week... A night out in summer, that fits in my 30L pack. A night out in winter, same 30L pack, but I stick the sleeping bag in a dry bag under the lid (technically not in the pack).

The defacto standard bushcrafters pack is the Berhaus Vulcan. It's an 80L pack, with two removable side pockets bringing it to 100L total. It weighs over 3kg, and is built like a certain stone out building. Thing is, most of us don't really need such a big heavy pack. 30-40L is enough for most trips, with 60L if you're going cold or long.

My understanding is that the Ribz are designed to work with most packs.

My suggestion before you go buy a pack or pouches, is to work out what you need to carry, what you want to carry, and what you honestly think you can carry.

Once you've got this list, you can get a better idea of what size pack you need.

]

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
What are you planning to put in said pouches?

]

See post #10 :)

I will be going 1 man tent over the hammock and tarp setup due to costs (I am being bought a tent and bag for my birthday).
Will be wanting to be able to attach sleeping bag and rollmat either on top or bottom of the bag.

Will only be doing 2-3 nights out at a time for now till I get some experience.
Clothes for those days away.
Food for 2 people .
Space for a book or two
Easy access Bottle holder

I have yet to do a night out so I guess I don't know what I'm missing till I do it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It would be used to carry basic fire starting tools and tinder, torch, spare knife, sewing needles and thread, pen, nylon tape, batteries, first aid basics, small fishing setups and rigs, wet wipes, water purification tabs, sharpening tools....etc

Basically anything you may need at any given time for a simple task without having to rummage through a large bag

99% of that is basecamp gear, or at least used when you'll be static for a while. not stuff you need while walking along. a couple of small stuff sacks and the lid pocket of the rucksack is where that lot would go if i were packing it

Pack size?.....as julia say's, for an overnighter try and stick to around the 30ltr mark. It really is ample space

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
This why I love forums, soooo much knowledge and experience shared. It save so much money and stress.

To be quite honest, if I hadn't joined the forum and asked questions, I'd probably have a assault vest that I could wear with my 200L bag which is too big for any occasion for me, along with a cheap nasty Amazon knife that couldn't cut its own blister pack.

Whenever I want to learn something new I search for a related forum and I am never let down.

I really appreciate all your help guys and gals.

Now I know what relevant size capacity I need, this is one big step forward. I want to keep the cost under £60 for my first bag.

Until I save up for something better/rugged and suited to what I want after some experience is gained.
I will pass my first bag down to my son if it is still in decent knick at said point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE