Heads up for Aldi splitting axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Got one last time they were on offer, for the price they do the job well. Just looked at the offers they are also doing jute string for 99p.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have one from when they did them over ten years ago, mine is more of a simple maul but they do the job. I was hoping to see a full size axe, as I "need" one for the back of the van, had one of the little hatchets for splitting kindling & they are good value.

Rob

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
I'm just looking at starting to acquire some gear and £4.99 for a small splitting axe is perfect!
Those have purchased this axe before are they sharp from manufacturers or do they require some intense sharpening to get them up to speed?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm just looking at starting to acquire some gear and £4.99 for a small splitting axe is perfect!
Those have purchased this axe before are they sharp from manufacturers or do they require some intense sharpening to get them up to speed?

You'll probably have to do a bit of fettling to put a decent edge on it but at £4.99 you won't be too worried if you get it wrong at first :)

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
Who else got there's?

IMAG0101_zpsc6cyavfu.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I bought the maul and the hatchet today (& the sledge hammer!) Good weight to the maul, & it certainly looks capable. Edges were rough on both and I gave them a quick going-over, more because I wanted to rather than needed to. Only took a few minutes and besides, you don't need to slice paper with a maul!

Chinese made, look fairly cheap - probably because they are! Not used as yet but seem perfectly functional, and at this price you're not going to be precious about them.

Early signs point towards being a good buy.

Last edited:

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I'm going to try a pick up the maul tonight. The hatchet looks identical to the one I picked up from Homebase yonks ago along with a large felling axe. Both have been ace for the money and live in the wood shed for all processing logs for the burner.
Great value and thanks for the heads up!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I bought the hatchet this afternoon (I already have a splitting maul). It balances nicely, the handle isn't too big for my hands, and the blade is good enough to be useful.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Bought two of the splitting axe (maul) today. Handles are a bit short but it seemed reasonably sharp and for the price I can't complain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE