The women are revolting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The fact that any of us exist tends to show that throughout history woman have been as good as men at surviving everything the wilds have to throw at them.

Evolution would be a bit of a non starter without women.

Now it gets onto the Eddie Grylls thing and I'm afraid that I have a huge amount more time for a certain female Bushcraft instructor than him.
She has never seemed to me to be a "feminist media type" just a genuinely nice and knowledgeable person.

Eddie Grylls on the other hand?
His work is to Bushcraft what WWF wrestling is to the martial arts.
Lets just say I'm not keen on his work.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like a lot of the members here I too haven't a telly. I do listen to the wireless a lot though. Pretty much only Radio Four. Womans Hour is a great program and I know that I'm not the only chap listening. Listening figures are reckoned to be almost equal between ladies and gents.
I love ladies but having worked in almost totally female dominated jobs for a few years I had to learn not to blush as the ladies talk was much racier and courser than that amongst jobs where it was male dominated.
I was brought up to believe that though we were to be treated equally that we chaps were at a distinct disadvantage when it came to most things. Women are just programed to be more of an efficient survival unit, this may to ensure that humans survive or that men are just more expendible in the scheme of things.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
To be honest with you goatboy, I would rather have a woman by my side in a survival situating than a bloke. I watched all those naked and afraid programmes and the blokes did nothing but whine.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
To be honest with you goatboy, I would rather have a woman by my side in a survival situating than a bloke. I watched all those naked and afraid programmes and the blokes did nothing but whine.

Me too! If the much vaunted EOTWAWKI hit I can think of a couple of ladies from here or Ruth from the historical farm series would be more likely to drag my sorry bottom out of the mire than a lot of blokes. :D
Though I fear that my partner of many decades may have something to say about it. But then she's a sailor and I'm staying away from open water. We spent millions of years evolving away from the stuff, why go back.
On the QI argument Sandy Tosvig herself give some pretty good reasons why there aren't more women on the program. I'll try and dig out the episode, as well as being one of the best on the program she's very eloquent on the subject.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Now it gets onto the Eddie Grylls thing and I'm afraid that I have a huge amount more time for a certain female Bushcraft instructor than him.
She has never seemed to me to be a "feminist media type" just a genuinely nice and knowledgeable person.

Might I enquire as to whom you are referring? (PM answer is OK)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"positive" discrimination where the best candidate is discriminated against on the basis of his age, or colour, or race or health. That is the classic definition of racism to me.[/QUOTE]

NO it isn't...
Recent research shows that eg male interviewers, when presented with similar CVs, 1 with a male name attached, 1 with a female name attached, choose the male, describing the "female" version as "too pushy" etc etc
Positive discrimination OFFSETS/COMPENSATES for the real discrimination all-too-common in the "uk", whether this daily discrimination is based on gender, race, orientation, class, area, region, nation, or anything else.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"positive" discrimination where the best candidate is discriminated against on the basis of his age, or colour, or race or health. That is the classic definition of racism to me.

NO it isn't...
Recent research shows that eg male interviewers, when presented with similar CVs, 1 with a male name attached, 1 with a female name attached, choose the male, describing the "female" version as "too pushy" etc etc
Positive discrimination OFFSETS/COMPENSATES for the real discrimination all-too-common in the "uk", whether this daily discrimination is based on gender, race, orientation, class, area, region, nation, or anything else.[/QUOTE]

How silly, how would you or anybody calibrate the degree of positive discrimination to offset the effects you suggest? After all a candidate might or might not be the heir to white privilege, male privilege or any other imagined privileges but they are highly unlikely to have done more than be born where they are of the family they have. Don't seem a reason to discriminate against them personally.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
"positive" discrimination where the best candidate is discriminated against on the basis of his age, or colour, or race or health. That is the classic definition of racism to me.

NO it isn't...
Positive discrimination OFFSETS/COMPENSATES for the real discrimination all-too-common in the "uk", whether this daily discrimination is based on gender, race, orientation, class, area, region, nation, or anything else.

And what did that research show of female interviewers given the same criteria? With links please.

Clearly if female interviewers weren't tested it reveals more about the study than the studied.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh and for the avoidance of doubt, discrimination based on gender is a criminal offence in the UK. The term "positive" has no meaning in law.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE