Tarp vs Lavve vs Pup tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

First time posting here but learned loads from just searching the forum, military mart should pay a commission to you guys, so far its been a czech bed roll and a LK35!

Trying to camp in the summer this year and trying to do so as cheap as possible hence buying surplus kit.

The next requirement i have is some cover and im unsure what's best and i only have a £35 budget

I'm taking by tarps for simplicity and versatility as well as lightweight but iv heard mixed reviews about British army surplus ones, there was DD tarps around my budget but again i'm not sure on their quality.

There was an Austrian pup tent around my budget on military mart that looked interesting but it doesn't seem to be of a waterproof material, does anyone have direct experience of these?

An there's the Lavvu, the weight kinda puts me off but i'm liking the ruggedness of this as well as being able to waterproofed, think it would be good for the kids to camp in during the summer as well (9yrs and 5), am i right in a weight of around 5kg? how much does this pack down, fit o.k in a LK35?

Any civvy options that are worth a look?

Many thanks

BUSTER

P.s i have not figured how to attach links yet

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
DD quality is ok, and certainly good for the price. Although I have had the stitching on the tie outs tear on me on a couple of occasions.
Still your best option for your budget though I think. That said if tents are an option maybe look at a cheap 2 man tent. Might be a better option in summer (bugs) if you're taking the kids.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Tarp would be my first choice every time. More versatile, can be set up in countless configurations and a damn site more room.
DD are a good starting point as are the issue basha(smaller than a DD and heavier) but bomb proof.

You could even make your own tarp.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I should have been a bit more specific, i plan on solo camping but the kids wanted to try camping in the garden that's why I thought the lavvu was a good idea,a place for me and a try out tent for kids,sorry for not being specific.

I have also found a tarp from a company called decathlon for £20 which is brilliant price wise but I'm worried about it being poor quality and I'm not willing to buy twice,hence my apprehension about the military tarp.

Am I likely to get eaten alive by the dreaded midge under a tarp? Maybe a insect net as well?

Thanks

Buster

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you're planning on using your LK35 for your solo camping, the tarp is the only realistic option out of the three. If you can run to 2 tarps you have the means to set up all kinds of shelters for your children, including some very good 'almost-tents' which can be very similar to either the pup tent or the Polish lavvu. DD tarps have a very good reputation and seem to be good value going by the reports I've read. I've also heard good reports about Decathlon gear.
If you go somewhere where midges live, they may make your life uncomfortable. With a bit of thought you can set up a more or less midgeproof shelter with a 3m x 3m tarp and a 1.5m x 1.5m piece of midgie net.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Never thought about two tarps,great idea,maybe going tge military route with two tarps might come under budget,ill have a look thanks

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I've got both dd tarp and polish lavvu Both great quality stuff polish lavvu is rather large to pack away so tarp for space but depending on how you intend to sleep I'd for tarp as it's more versatile, personal preference though 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
If just camping in the garden kids are going to really love the lavvu aren't they? Save a few £ for sheriff's badge, water pistol and plastic bow and arrow :)

They are indeed pretty heavy (i thought they were 3.8 kg?), packed size I have never measured but it isn't too bad really. Never had a LK35 so shouldn't comment on that. My lavvu makes me feel like a big kid - I love it! Compared to those pup tents the lavvu is almost ultralight... Both fairly waterproof can be made more so pretty cheaply with fabsil or equivalent water proofing.

If "proper" camping tarps are much more versatile and way way lighter. Can't fault DD either - consider them to be excellent & I have a 3x3 I have used for some time without any problems.

Tarps just for use in the garden? Just get a huge cheap camo one (very cheap but heavier) it will be fine for an introduction for the kids. Can always cut up and use for all sorts later on e.g ground sheets.

All depends on budget and preference, if you are wanting to go out solo as well then most would suggest a decent tarp. If car camping or more fit than I the lavvu would be fine too - there's something so nice about canvas.

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I rarely use my tent these days, preferring a tarp. I have a hoochie and a Kathmandu tarp and the Kathmandu gets most use (it's about 8' square). I still use the tent when on a campsite for the privacy and the fact that people can't see my kit but for wild camping its a tarp every time - light, packs up small and versatile.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I should have been a bit more specific, i plan on solo camping but the kids wanted to try camping in the garden that's why I thought the lavvu was a good idea,a place for me and a try out tent for kids,sorry for not being specific.

I have also found a tarp from a company called decathlon for £20 which is brilliant price wise but I'm worried about it being poor quality and I'm not willing to buy twice,hence my apprehension about the military tarp.

Am I likely to get eaten alive by the dreaded midge under a tarp? Maybe a insect net as well?

Thanks

Buster

Nought wrong with the Decathlon tarp it just does not have as many tie outs that's all but there are ways round that.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Another vote for the dd tarp. I've got a 3 metre one and it's luxurious for space compared to the old issue one. My lad loves camping under it. Great value.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Just noticed decathlon does tents as well? Does anyone recommend these? Any other civvy tent options around the £35-40 mark?
Solo or two man only
Thanks for the reply's
Buster

rg598

Native
I used a DD tarp for years when I first started out. It's a great product for the money. It takes more practice to set up quickly, but for the price it's hard to beat. I would hold off on buying a tent until you can afford a good one. There is no point in getting a tent that weighs 10kg and will leak on you.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If you are after a budget option, consider the miltec tarps. I've been very happy with mine. I've used the Flecktarn tarp over the winter and it's worked well. For the price, there are very few comparable options.

J

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Guys thank you so much for your help,kids wanted a bit more protection from bugs and the rain so I opted for a tent.
I kind of got sucked into a deal on ebay,think I paid too much,£26.99 Inc postage for a eurohike backpacker 2,reviews looked good both on here and other sitests,seller claims it's new,will need to wait and see.

Thanks

Buster

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Decathlon stuff are very good quality; I have been using their cycling poncho for almost 10 years and it's still going strong, and 2 years ago I bought one of their pop up tents which I use when I take the scouts for their summer camp, as I never seem to have time to pitch a proper one. All good so far.

Seg

Atarian

May 31, 2014
Coventry
I don't want to derail the thread but I don't think it's worth posting a new topic for this - does anyone have a poncho tarp, and if so, does anyone know what the line through two eyelets by the hood is for? It's offset so it can't be for the ridge line. I just tend to sling it over a paracord ridge line and peg it, I'm not a sophisticated chap :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I don't want to derail the thread but I don't think it's worth posting a new topic for this - does anyone have a poncho tarp, and if so, does anyone know what the line through two eyelets by the hood is for? It's offset so it can't be for the ridge line. I just tend to sling it over a paracord ridge line and peg it, I'm not a sophisticated chap :)

This is a question where a picture would help a great deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE