Anyone use this on their knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
http://www.kramp.com/shop-gb/en/286521/860041/0/SP-90+H1+Food+Grade+Dry+Film+Silicone+Lubricant

I got a can of this given recently, and have been testing it out on knives.

Its basically a dry lubricant that protects steel from corrosion, is food safe (non toxic), doesn't wear off quickly and provides good benefits with working in wood as it reduces friction with what your are cutting, works on Saws and axes too, you only need a little bit, a can will last years i reckon.

I'd rate this higher than any oil.

EDIT.... avoid getting this on your knife handles though.

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been using Sentry solutions Tuf Glide for a while, but may switch over as I would like something food safe. Where's the best place to buy from?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not sure mate, i got some given... there are a few places online that sell it. The first i looked at was less than a fiver, i was just about to buy some until i saw the postage costs... worked out about £17 all in from there..... no thanks lol.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, same here. Still think its worth it, as one can will last ages..you only need a little bit, it dries onto the steel, and doesn't come off so easily. I also use it on my bandsaw table and blade and grinding table, makes it much easier due to the lack of friction. Lots of uses!!

Don't think the one you linked to is food grade though, the food grade stuff says it on the bottom of the can.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How do you think this would do on needles ?
I'm thinking of needles in hussifs kept in bags and BOB's….other wee tools too though.

M

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It will do well i think, probably make them easier to sew with too.... it says in the blurb is also good for lubricating thread with on sewing machines.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We can buy stuff for weaving that 'conditions' the warp, and in doing so makes it less likely to fray, but it lubricates the reed & heddles too……what's the main ingredient in your magic spray stuff Mark ?

atb,
M

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm assuming its Silicone. It doesn't give a list of the "ingredients" on the can... but says it has "extra-high" silicone content

From all it shows on the can... its a very versatile and useful thing to have around the home too.

I use a similer but not food grade 3 in 1 Dry Silicon from B&Q works on blades handles and Kydex etc

Also quite good on a Linisher belt ...I think seems to stop clogging etc

warning dont use if your going to pack for posting as every thing you touch if its on your hands is now non stick for packing tape

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Works like a dream on stitching awls, just don't ever get it on the handle! Not much good on sewing needles though, as the very effect that makes the needle glide through the cloth makes it glide right out of your fingers!

Not much good on sewing needles though, as the very effect that makes the needle glide through the cloth makes it glide right out of your fingers!

That would be my concern with knife use, too.

I use various sprays to lubricate protect guns, and those have always worked well. I also have spray on wax lubricant for processing (resizing) large numbers of cartridge cases for reloading, and the latter is extremely slippery!

With knives and axes, all that I use on them is a drywall sanding pad loaded with cardboard, onto which is crayoned some chromium oxide green buffing compound. I bought a block from Lee Valley tool supply, and supposedly it was super refined and had special waxes - they like to tell stories more than I do... Anyway I left one Mora in the back of the truck all winter, and dreaded to take it out of the sheath - but it came out looking like new...

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
have always used Ballistol universal oil, completely food safe, acid neutralizing, corrosion inhibiting, good for leather, safe on plastics and mildly antiseptic

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Without wishing to spoil the party, silicone based lubricants are not generally highly regarded for use on metal to metal bearing surfaces.
Probably fine for fixed blades etc, but i would personally be wary of using it on any of my high end folder pivots, and definitely not on machinery of any kind.
Ballistol food grade is excellent as already stated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE