Bivy Transformation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Someone here suggested replacing the bootlace type drawstring of the army bivybag with amsteel, so I did. And what a change for the better; very slick indeed.
Definitely a good move. :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
too much friction on that lace type drawcord, any smooth slippery sliding cord is better, i just used smooth slippery 3mm nylon braid cord and even that was miles better than that lace stuff. I'v never understood why they fit them with rubbish cord from new when there is better cord that is still cheap. I did think about using that stretchy bungee cord used in the hems of jackets so you could never get trapped if it tangled when pulled tight and jump out quick if neccessary but never did try it, anyone tried bungee cord instead, if so good or bad.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I replaced the cord on my army bivi bag some while ago with some thinner climbing accessory cord - this sort of thing (good supplier btw; no connection etc). Much better. I found the stuff the bag comes with really awkward to use, having to gather & push along all the time.

On the bungee / shock cord thing, I haven't used it on a bivi bag but I do use it on a zipless sleeping bag & find it much easier to get in and out.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
i have a massive roll of amsteel/dyneema cord. if anyone needs a few metres, just let me know and I will post you what you need, no worries.

I have a long roll, which I am happy cut lengths off for people. Having measured it, it's 1.5mm thick and a dark green/dark grey colour. So if anyone is interested, pm me yr addy and I will send you some. No worries. 😃

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I have a long roll, which I am happy cut lengths off for people. Having measured it, it's 1.5mm thick and a dark green/dark grey colour. So if anyone is interested, pm me yr addy and I will send you some. No worries. ��

PM sent barbourdurham, happy to pay P&P etc.

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I'v never understood why they fit them with rubbish cord from new when there is better cord that is still cheap

The main driver of modern economies is buying. If things last, then less buying = less growth - and that we can't have, according to the good guys in the financial districts.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
The main driver of modern economies is buying. If things last, then less buying = less growth - and that we can't have, according to the good guys in the financial districts.

Given this is military kit, I'm not sure the army would see it that way. If they can save 2p per bag, and they issue tens of thousands, they reckon they've saved thousands. Driving thousands of squaddies nuts is not their concern.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Given this is military kit, I'm not sure the army would see it that way. If they can save 2p per bag, and they issue tens of thousands, they reckon they've saved thousands. Driving thousands of squaddies nuts is not their concern.

But the MoD has a very thorough user testing process and it obviously never bothered the testers.
I never used the lace, preferring to use the bag upside down, so the hood flap was over my head, but it's horses for courses isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I never really bothered with it, due to it being such a PITA, but felt the need to close it up at a camp earlier in the year so did the amsteel mod.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Given this is military kit, I'm not sure the army would see it that way. If they can save 2p per bag, and they issue tens of thousands, they reckon they've saved thousands.

Some company produced this for the military, and they might very well have thought along the lines I suggested...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
ok people, (i didnt think the cord was so popular!) i will send out lengths to people who have requested it next week, but in order to save some for myself, i now have to close my offer. i hope y'all make good use of it!!'m thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE