Axe, machete or billhook...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi all,

In a bid to lighten up my daypack somewhat im considering swapping out my GB splitting axe for something, well, lighter.

My GB is fantastic, dont get me wrong, but all i use it for is literally splitting down firewood...and very occasionally roughing out a spoon/bowl/kuksa blank. I must emphasise the "occasionally"... i always carry a bow saw or a foldable saw as well as my axe.

I have been drawn to the parang/machete/billhook tools - but know nothing about them at all...here's where you learned folk come in...

What would you recommend for general trekking/camp duties? What are the benefits and disadvantages of these edged tools over an axe? Could i feasibly split down firewood with any of these alternatives?

Cheers in advance!!
Paul.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I just carry a knife and a fold saw but if had to choose for you either a bigger camp knife or a parangI have used in the past

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I think tomahawks give the best performance to weight ratio, mine is just over 500g with a 20" handle and chops and splits everything I need for a camp fire. I've actually given up taking my folding saw as it never gets used now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use all three tools depending on the task in hand. I don't need any of them for a day walk.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm going to make an admission here that may get me jeered at.

I dumped my GB Axe in favour of a BG Parang. I find I'm more accurate with it and it does an amazing job round camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think a knife, Laplander and small hatchet are perfect for general camp tasks. I wanted a very small hatchet for processing kindling and carving, something very easily packable.

I bought a Condor Scout Hatchet but didn't like the steel, size also was a fraction too large. I'm bidding on a tiny vintage camp axe head that I will mod to what I want, something around a pound in weight but super sharp!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As above all different tools for different tasks. Each one will do the others work but poorly.
Once tried a few trips with the hook only and missed my axe.
The last on my list would be the machete unless I am clearing a load of brush or similar. Even then there are better tools for our native flora.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Won the small axe I was on about, £13 delivered!

750cdcaa4f289ab0638344850f03b67b_zps74a25b88.jpg

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
13 quid - bargain! For the size of the wood I'm processing for firewood, I'm hoping the parang would be enough. Having already forked out for a GB, which I love, I'm loath to spend more on another axe.

I've heard and read good things about the BG parang, but I think the black and orange plastic is too much for my tastes - I'm glad you found it better for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi Dark Horse Dave, the tomahawk I use is one I had Dave Budd (from this site) make me. The head is approx 360g and depending on the wood the shaft is around 140-150g. It's a cracking little workhorse!
Paul Sanderson, yep, I have no problems carving with it, obviously a mora would be my first choice, and usually is, but I could carve anything I'd need for a night or two in the woods.
if you'd like to see it I'll post some pic's up tonight.
cheers

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi Dark Horse Dave, the tomahawk I use is one I had Dave Budd (from this site) make me. The head is approx 360g and depending on the wood the shaft is around 140-150g. It's a cracking little workhorse!
Paul Sanderson, yep, I have no problems carving with it, obviously a mora would be my first choice, and usually is, but I could carve anything I'd need for a night or two in the woods.
if you'd like to see it I'll post some pic's up tonight.
cheers

Thanks Jimmy, and yes please for those pics. I'm familiar with Dave and have a couple of his blades in fact - one as my main user.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I'm gonna spice this debate up abit... A kukri? (I don't own one yet but there supposed to be able to do anything) the HI website boasts you can cut up a car with one...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm gonna spice this debate up abit... A kukri? (I don't own one yet but there supposed to be able to do anything) the HI website boasts you can cut up a car with one...

Never needed to cut a car yet so probably not the one for me! :D

To be fair though, kukhri with a traditional handle would be a no go for me. Hate them in hand!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB

Thought about a Kukhri tommy, but to be fair I am not sold on the shape...prefer the look of all of the previouosly mentioned edged tools. the Churi however is something id be keen to try, but not as a replacement for my GB...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE