/my weekend in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Another great weekend for some of the Clynfyw Meeters - this time nice and dry!
I rocked up on Friday, in time to watch the eclipse through 3 pairs of sunglasses and a thick mist .. it was sorta spooky in the woods hearing the birds start their evening songs and then slip into their morning songs again ... then on to repair the storm damage to the toilet screens, collect firewood, set up camp etc.
I had finished my "Stick Throne" and brought it up to its new home so levelled a platform for it and made a companion gear tripid for it, made a second tripod for the leather seat I had acquired and generally potched around cutting back new bramble growth. Roly joined me after lunch and after he set up I collected some birch trashings and we got the fire going. Roly was using his custom bed roll I was in my stretcher bed and we had a good natter around the fire before bed ... the day just seemed to disappear...
The night was quite chill but we both slept well (one for a bit longer than the other) and we woke to a perfect morning. We got on with various projects - I made a broom which Roly used to tidy the camp) and we were joined by Mark. We had visits from participants at the Care Farm (and staff) and also enjoyed a bimble around the tracks, made birchtwig faggots and generally chilled out.
Another chill evening, a good night and a nother perfect morning on Sunday.
Breakfast was had, camp struck andwe were away by noon.
A great and chilled out weekend!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like a really good weekend John :)

What are the bottle walls part of?

20 years ago there was an "Art Project" on the farm with a sculpture trail/sensory walk etc leading to a Round House. The bottles are in the Round House walls - a great spot :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like a great weekend. Nice woodwork!

The camp "roof" looks like a parachute - did it come with the Jolly Roger?

It is a parachute and I have used it for many years. On one memorable camp, when tarps blew away, other gor blown down, tents werte collapsed and all sorts of damage occurred due to "unfortunate weather conditions" the chute ended up wrapped around a thorn tree with lots of rips and tears ... I used left over panels from when I made other chutes into canoe sails to repair some parts of the chute but ran out of fabric ... but I had a Jolly Rodger flag just waiting for a new use...
Brecon Jan 2010 my bivi (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Sappers bivi (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Carpark (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
This was what the site looked like on the Friday evening - by Saturday morning my (pale) tarp had collapsed as the ridgeline wore through, the dark tarp had blown away to never be seen again... and all the snow had gone!

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
It is a parachute and I have used it for many years. On one memorable camp, when tarps blew away, other gor blown down, tents werte collapsed and all sorts of damage occurred due to "unfortunate weather conditions" the chute ended up wrapped around a thorn tree with lots of rips and tears ...

A pity, but such is the outdoors...

I used left over panels from when I made other chutes into canoe sails to repair some parts of the chute but ran out of fabric ... but I had a Jolly Rodger flag just waiting for a new use...

The flag adds a nice touch to the camp!

Our boat used to have a Jolly Roger at all times. The kids liked it a lot, but many grown ups not so much - their problem, I say...

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A pity, but such is the outdoors...

The flag adds a nice touch to the camp!

Our boat used to have a Jolly Roger at all times. The kids liked it a lot, but many grown up not so much - their problem, I say...

At one time the sail for my black painted , home built 4mm stitch and tape canoe ("The Black Joke") was a Jolly Rodger ....

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I really like the broom!

Lucky guy, where I live broom flying is prohibited...

broom_flying_prohibited.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant stuff Mr Fenna, love it when you pop up your trip reports. You always seem very capable and productive but having fun too. (Which is what it's all bout I suppose)

Camp is looking great and nice to see it getting a spring spruce up. The besom (broom) looks cracking and nice to see folk making them. It and the no flying sign that Vestlenning posted up made me think back to being a kid and the "Witches Carparks" as I used to call the similar looking firebeaters that the forestry companies used to have at points through the woods all collected together in a frame in case of fire.

Cheers for posting up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE