Gas Bottle Fettling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
I have a gas bottle but for the life of me cannot seem to budge the valve, despite WD40-ing the blighter and using a large adjustable with a scaffold pole and alternatively a lump hammer. I have worked on the principle that it is a right hand thread as that seems to be the internet consensus.

Is there a safe way for me to somehow cut it open without risk to life and limb?

I have read on another forum of turning it upside down and wedging the valve open until empty, then drilling the bottom slowly whilst pouring water onto the drill bit.

Firstly, does that sound like a safe option to those of you experienced in dealing with these things. Secondly, if not, are there any other ways that you can suggest I try?

I want to halve it to make a barbecue / smoker.

Many thanks in advance.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I have read on another forum of turning it upside down and wedging the valve open until empty, then drilling the bottom slowly whilst pouring water onto the drill bit.

Firstly, does that sound like a safe option to those of you experienced in dealing with these things. Secondly, if not, are there any other ways that you can suggest I try?

I want to halve it to make a barbecue / smoker.

Many thanks in advance.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES drill or cut a gas cylinder without first removing the valve and properly venting and clearing the cylinder. In fact, even then you can have problems.

The safest (note: this is not the same as SAFE) option is to fill the cylinder with water and drill with the water in the cylinder and the valve OUT.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend tampering with gas cylinders - if you choose to do so it is entirely at your own risk.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
At the very least three changes of water, each left for minimum 24 hrs, and as Adze says above put a fourth fill in while cutting or drilling. Always remember that Propane and Butane and all their mixes are a great deal heavier than air so will not just dissipate into the air. the open neck of the bottle must be the lowest point for any of it to drain away, and then it'll keep sinking in the environment in which it finds itself; in a domestic
scenario this usually means into the drains.................

Beware, and treat this stuff with respect or it'll bite you hard!!!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Taken a few apart. My first was the mist difficult. Can't remember which way they turned but lump hammer and big old industrial wrench did the job in the end. Unless its full if water don't drill it. If oxygen bottle never use any sort of lubricant as it'll make the bottle explode.

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
I well remember my grandfather drilling one, 'having left the tap open for a week to vent it'. He got a 'different' sort of face-lift and I don't recommend it.

Plus 1 for DO NOT DRILL or DO ANYTHING UNLESS FULLY VENTED.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
…..*****do not drill the thing left hand thread righty tighty lefty loosey or in this case righty loosy lefty tighty

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I seem to recall that people used to fill motorcycle petrol tanks with sand if they wanted to weld it (for whatever reason). Maybe sand is an option?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Not sure why you would need to fill it with water more than once or leave it full for any length of time. What you are doing is degassing the cylinder. Venting cannot guarantee that you have replaced the gas in the bottle with air- it will be a mixture of gas and air and so explosive at that point. Filling it with water displaces all the gas and air. When you let the water out it is replaced by air.
It will, however, still reek of gas. This is the mercaptans which is added to the gas so that you can smell a leak. It coats the inside of the cylinder and stays until you first light it.
Of course I would never suggest that you should try such a terribly dangerous thing!

If not duffers, won't drown.

Z

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Cheers for the replies. I'll try turning it the other direction this weekend . If it doesn't budge I won't risk drilling it.

haytor7

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2014
devon
Only done two gas bottles to make log burners out of them. take out the valve fill with water turn on its side cut it with a petrol disc cutter no drama's. unless I have been lucky twice. it works well. from taking the valve out to cutting it open takes about two or three minuets.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I can't get any undone either and I've bent steel bars trying, left and right. Remember the gaseous liquids - doesn't sound right but you know what I mean- are clinging to the bottle wall which is why you need to flush it a lot. Like meth's or acetone sitting on a plate until its all gone

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wouldnt use a lump hammer either due to spark risk. Have you tried a long lever?

He has - adjustable spanner with a scaffold pole. :)

I have drilled one without explosion before. I left it upside down valve open for a week then used a 3mm bit in a hand cranked drill under running water until a hole made on the bottom. I then dropped it into water butt with valve still open and let it sink and submerge. Switched water a few times.

Just go slow and think of all the consequences before you proceed at each step until it's properly open....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE