DIY Hex Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Hi Folks
I've been happily using tarps for shelter, the various ways you can hang them makes them very versatile. But if there are no trees about it can make things a little interesting. I bought a Polish Lavvu last year and really like the way it goes up - a single pole and a few pegs and it is very stable and simple to erect. But weighing 3 1/2 kg is no fun if you are carrying it on your back for any distance. So, after my last overnighter which was next to the beach I started thinking about making a shaped tarp that could be put up if there were no trees around to sling up a ridge line.
I love using Sketchup to model things - its free and pretty simple to use and it pretty darn accurate. You can measure off complicated angles and sizes very easily, which really helped with this project.

plan.jpg

I bought five meters of PU Nylon that was on special at Point North - £21 was pretty good, especially as its 1.85m wide ;) It's the Danish camo pattern.

material.jpg

I made a paper scale model to make sure my measurements were correct and then made a full size one in polythene.

tarp1.jpg

It's great to see it full size - it's the only way to know for certain you've dimensioned the thing properly.
I got stuck in with the wifes sewing machine and two evenings later it was done.

finish3.jpg

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

inside.jpg

The main thing I wanted was to offset the pole - in the Polish Lavvu the pole is central and a pain as it infringes on the floor area forcing you against the edges. So my design is an offset pyramid, giving me maximum floor space for sleeping while maintaining the natural strength and rigidity of a pyramid. I use a walking pole as the central pole or I could cut a suitable stick on site (two sides of the tarp are 1.3m on their bottom edges - this is the height of the pole so I don't need to carry a tape measure!) Weight including carry sack is 950g.

bag.jpg

So I'm pleased with the project - I can lay out full length with no fear of damp toes or face, I still get to see out like under a tarp and it means I can set up on a beach it needed! I have made up a small "storm flap" which can clip on to give a larger covered porch area in case of extreme downpours. The tarp is also big enough for two to sleep under in a pinch.
Making your own gear is a lot of fun - building models in cheap materials is vital to getting a good result and saves wasting expensive materials.
Hope you like
Cheers
Phil

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Yes, I spent time moving templates around to see how many pieces I could get out in one. I managed to get two complete halves so only needed to sew one major seam to have a complete shelter, a very lucky break!
One other detail - I found the panels all had a little sag in the middle of them when I made the polythene mockup. I added catenary curves to the bottom edges which gets everything drum tight, a brilliant result.
Cheers
Phil

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very well thought out piece of work, simple and elegant in design. All three main features are huge pluses when out and about, i.e. one seam only, offset pole placement and catenary curves to the bottom edges.

Excellent, one of the best MYOG projects for a long time; nicely done :)

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Wow, nicely done. Great job. And a construction with one single seam is just brilliant.
Put a brand on it and I am pretty sure you're in business ;)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
That's a very well thought out piece of work, simple and elegant in design. All three main features are huge pluses when out and about, i.e. one seam only, offset pole placement and catenary curves to the bottom edges.

Excellent, one of the best MYOG projects for a long time; nicely done :)

What he said.
Excellent job.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Many thanks, Gents, glad it gets the thumbs up :) Can't see me making more, if anyone wants dimensions I can sort them out for you?
Cheers
Phil

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Would you be able to PM me the dimensions? Or post them here? My skills are not enough to make but I am blessed with a retired mother who is a dab hand at this sort of thing!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That really is a top bit of work. Have you had chance to spend the night in it yet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE