British Army Wool Socks - only in white?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I'm a big fan of Army Arctic wool socks, the white ones. Does anyone know if they make them in green? Or of some similar quality socks in more bushcrafty colours?
Cheers
Phil

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great socks, seem to have gone up in price lately though. Mine were all white now they're a kinda grey colour :p

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The RAF Mountain Rescue cold weather issue ones used to be bright red. Lots of the Troops ended up with pink clothing post the first wash:eek:

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
These suggestions are all good.....but... what if you are like me???

I have very bad circulation and am prone to leg ulcers...( got two on the go right now, right PITA they are!)
for me, the best socks are like the 'diabetics' socks...very loose top, absoluteley NO elastic!

But they don't come in nice thick comfy wool for wearing with size 14 Army boots!!!!

Anyone any ideas apart from me learning to knit/crochet my own???

sorry if this is a hijack of thread......not meant to be, just a sort of 'by the way'.......

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too cannot bear pressure of any description on my legs from socks, but still need warm and well fitted feet for walking boots etc. I use the Dutch socks linked to in post #3 by twodogs, and they're great - no pressure at all
and as comfortable and hardwearing a sock as I've ever worn. I wear them Winter and Summer alike when walking and have never had a problem. I've even been able to wear them in comfort during the last six weeks whilst recovering from a knee replacement with an incredibly swollen and very sore calf. I'm a 9 or 10, and the size available from the site linked to are a great fit; I hope this helps :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gentlemen, have a word with Sally.
Sally Pointer (Sally in Wales) not only makes socks at a very reasonable price, but she'll knit socks made to fit and suit you personally. Made in pure wool too :D

http://sallypointer.com/shop/produc...d=141&osCsid=abba65a39616e97fdc2ed7b95387e117

These socks will last well, and as they're made from pure wool they will gently felt to fit your foot and leg.
Not as cheap as army surplus, but well worth the price.

Sally is very, very, knowledgeable, and she is creatively adaptable about her patterns, etc., too. If you have problems finding comfortable socks, I would happily recommend that you have a conversation with her :D

atb,
M

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I used to get the arctic socks from British military surplus at 50p a pair (grade 1) now up to £4 and £10 new! Even seen them for £20 new a pair online lol. Bloody good socks but would never pay that for them. Glad I bought loads when I did.

Would it be possible to dye them at all? Mine have all gone a sort of disgusting murky grey/brown colour lol. I know they are meant to be 100% wool but have never dyed wool before. Any advice welcome folks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE