carving challenge!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm only replying to this thread so I can get the little green emblem next to the thread title in the list, so in the future I can pick this thread out easily. I'm hoping to carve something, and all the stuff on here already is great and nice to look at. Nice work everyone.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
3187afae8f343f6f79957e2443088359.jpg

Here is one I made recently. I wood spirit coat peg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Something a little different - I haven't seen anywhere that it's got to be wood carving [and john posted some stone stuff] soooo.....

d7a2b17c-b21c-470b-a529-3edff1654598_zpszn7opzsj.jpg

Carved about 7 years ago and has moved house with me to decorate the front garden.

Roughly 35cm high 25-30cm wide block shape

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
mousey. Great tut. That's the one I used. Very easy to follow (obviously, I managed!)

Wood spirit coat hooks. Now I need some of them in my life. Many thanks

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Something a little different - I haven't seen anywhere that it's got to be wood carving [and john posted some stone stuff] soooo.....

I don't see why it has to be narrowed down to wood only, I suppose you could carve something into a potato if you really wish. Good Job though. I hope he is stood up with pride somewhere though, not just laying around randomly on the edge of your flower bed or such like?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
He's never stood up the best, always needing propped against something, currently he is laying down - watch all visitors coming along the path.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Here's my attempt at a 'wood spirit' although I was a bit daunted by a beard and hair so haven't done that and tried to go with a big open mouth grin/ smile.

2015-02-20%2007.56.51_zpsgrotjjit.jpg

2015-02-20%2007.56.54_zpszki0oeym.jpg

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Time for a new subject me thinks!

Yet another idea that I saw on here which inspired me and I have yet to have a go and that is MINIATURE CARVINGS. Lets see what you have done, past & present. I saw a carved axe on here recently but I dont know who carved it or what thread it was in, so hopefully the culprit will show and tell again soon.

If anyone has any other suggestions for future subjects please feel free to chip in either on here or PM me. I will try anything once me! :D

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Come on people, not much effort yet!

I have been recently working on some hand carved "acorns" for SWMBO so they aren't exactly miniature in scale but are probably the smallest items I haved carved. they started as one style and then evolved after each one.

Carving 1

I then decided I didnt like the pattern on the end and the acorn itself was too long.

Carving 2

Then I decided I didnt like the curve of the cap, it needed to be more dome shaped and I didn't like the nut looking too parallel

Carving 3

any tips or comments welcome. :D

Not too sure if to bother making a pattern on the cap as it takes too much time?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE